It's close

smizell

Am I the only one excited for Missouri to open this weekend? The weather looks perfect for Saturday morning, as far as openers go. The only downer for me is that it opens on a Saturday, and I am sure the public spots will be packed. The upside to opening day being on a Saturday, is that I wont have to use a sick day at work. The only thing is now I need to figure out my starting lineup for the dogs.

Heading up to Trenton friday night. Hopefully we will find some quail.

First trip on wild birds for my new pup. Need to get me and my dogs in shape before going to South Dakota next week.

Good Luck.

Shit there are always a lot of crops still in, I always still seem to get birds. Usually a couple of roosters, and a couple of quail. I am just glad its not going to be so damn hot.

I only have access to public land and I was thinking it may be busier than normal being on a Saturday, but still excited to get out and hunt. I'm just trying to debate where to go. I'm leaning towards the northeast part of the state, but northwest is awful tempting. I look forward to hearing how you guys did. I'd like to come home with a mixed bag, but thankful for the opportunity to watch the dogs work.

Last edited:
My son and I are going to hunt in Andrew county on Saturday and Harrison county on Sunday. This will be our first time hunting in Missouri and our first time hunting opening weekend in a long time.

I'll be up in Atchison county with a couple Britts, one a veteran and the other a rookie. I'm sure the corn is still in the fields so I'll avoid that. Hoping the CRP is still there -- I haven't been up to check.

Alright boys, me, my almost 1 year old GSP and the old vet weimaraner decided to head northeast this time. I hope everyone has a safe and fun hunt. Good luck opening day in good ole MO!

I'm looking forward to the seeing the pictures and hearing stories.

Well, spent about 7 hours afield yesterday. My first stop on public land was wonderful and produced 4 pheasant (3 roosters & 1 hen) and also found a nice covey of quail (25 birds). I managed a double on the quail!!! Followed by a clean miss at 10 yards on a pheasant 10 minutes later. Actually, I was 0 for 4 on the pheasant! Still scratching my head on that. The new pup managed a couple solid points and had one mess up on a rooster that flushed out of range (thanks to him). The next stop on public I was expecting big things from and plain got skunked. I didn't hear or see a thing, but that's hunting. The grass was tall and thick which is great for the birds. All and all it was a beautiful day and can't wait to go back out, but hoping the corn will be out though.

We hunted on private ground Sat. Found 1 big covey. Only shot a couple out of it.

On Sunday hunted 1/2 day with finding only 1 bird, a Woodcock. Did not shoot him.

Alot of walking, alot of wind, not alot of birds.

Going to South Dakota on Thurs.

Did a marathon yesterday on public, six hours of walking and one big covey with a little shooting and one other that stayed in a jungle. Went close to home tonight and put up 7 WC in an hour and a half with 2 killed. flight birds are starting.

My son and I hunted Saturday and Sunday and only saw deer and wood ducks, not any quail or signs of them anywhere. At least the dog's got some exercise.

Hunted at one place til about 2 on Saturday. 6 in our group, we shot 5 roosters, missed 2 other roosters, and 1 quail. The covey was nice sized in the middle of a uncut bean field. We didn't chase any singles. We then moved spots and hunted the rest of the day, we didn't see a bird there.

Went to a farm in Atchison County. First time out for my younger Britt, the other's 6. Saturday morning flushed 4 hens early on, didn't see anything else and gave it up early afternoon. Sunday got a little later start. 3 hens and a rooster flushed behind and to my left, but I didn't connect. The wind was really howling -- gusts got up to 39, or so they say. I just didn't want to fight it. Never saw any quail, which we usually do on that property. Very glad to see some pheasants though.

Dogs need a lot more work, especially the pup. That's my fault. They'll get some in KS this weekend.

The 11 month old GSP and I slipped out of work early yesterday and went for a hunt. I'm seeing a lot of pheasant this year and hoping to run into a few more quail. I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing so far this season. We got this 1 pheasant and the pup made a mistake that cost me a chance at another, which is expected. Saw 5 more flushing real wild, so I'm enjoying my time afield.

Last edited:
Has anyone been back out in Missouri since the opener? I have been playing in Kansas, I hope to make a few more Missouri trips before its over.

I hit some public on Wednesday afternoon/evening and had a great hunt. I put a few pheasant and a couple nice coveys. Don't you ask about my shooting though.... Seriously, I came home with a couple quail and a couple what if misses. Still an awesome hunt. I was in northeast half of the state.

Back