It never gets old

CPAjeff

Yesterday was opening day here in Utah and the thrill of a rooster erupting out of the weeds still scares me half to death, just as it did when I was 12. I was fortunate to be raised in a small farming community and have access to some prime pheasant habitat. One spot, in particular, is a slough behind an old abandoned feed lot. This spot is "the spot" for a mid day hunt, as the pressured birds head to this slough for safety. I had some obligations that I needed to take care of early in the morning, but was able to get out and hunt shortly after noon. As I was walking across the feedlot to the slough, I came across two or three tumbleweeds bunched up against the cement feed row. Not paying much attention, I stepped into the tumbleweeds and two roosters came exploding out. Two shots later and I was done for the day - in my opinion, there is not a more gorgeous bird on earth than a rooster pheasant!

In Utah, there is no season or limit for Eurasian doves, so I spent a little time chasing them around. Pheasant fajitas and jalape?o bacon wrapped doves are for lunch today! Needless to say, I never made it to the slough, but I will this week sometime!

You are right, a rooster pheasant is a beautiful bird. Congratulations on the great hunt and it sounds like you will be eating good.:thumbsup:

Beautiful images and beautiful birds!

You ever feel a bit short-changed when you limit out so quickly? I do, I know. It's like the hunt got shortened and I still had all this energy to use.

:coolpics:

:D

Way to go thanks for sharing your hunt , yep I am with you when I see my dogs working a bird and work out the scent puzzle and point a bird and then put it up and the one of the girls delivers to hand never gets old for sure !!!

Congrats on a nice double !!! Like them M-2 s

You are right, a rooster pheasant is a beautiful bird. Congratulations on the great hunt and it sounds like you will be eating good.:thumbsup:

Thanks! Not only is the rooster pheasant the king of gamebirds, in my opinion, he also ranks right up near the top of the list for table fare!

Beautiful images and beautiful birds!

You ever feel a bit short-changed when you limit out so quickly? I do, I know. It's like the hunt got shortened and I still had all this energy to use.

:coolpics:

:D

Thanks! Yes, I felt a little short-changed that the hunt ended so quickly, and I wasn't even able to make it back to the slough. However, as I was sitting under a Russian Olive tree waiting for the Eurasians, I couldn't help but admire over and over the sheer beauty of the pheasants I had just harvested. This year was the first year in 13 years, dating back to my early teenage years, that I didn't make the trip out to South Dakota with the rest of my family. Life is changing for my wife, our young children, and myself as I accepted a job in Texas and will be leaving Utah. As I sat under that tree, admiring the birds, it seemed that time stopped and I had time to reflect on my life and the things I have been able to participate in - and finally realized that it's ok to move on and have new adventures. On any other day, I would have been sad the hunt ended so soon - yet on Saturday, it was a blessing in disguise.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Way to go thanks for sharing your hunt , yep I am with you when I see my dogs working a bird and work out the scent puzzle and point a bird and then put it up and the one of the girls delivers to hand never gets old for sure !!!

Congrats on a nice double !!! Like them M-2 s

Thank you! I shot a Citori at the local sporting clays range last week and started to fall in love with it, but then I remembered my trusty M2 back in the truck and felt like I was betraying her. :) That gun has worked flawlessly in Canada, the Dakotas, and the Intermountain West.

Back