Is it really as bsd as it sounds?

N.D.Field

As I have talked about, I will be hunting in Liberal the 2nd wk of Nov. I was wondering around the internet tonight and found this report. How true is this, does anybody care to agree or disagree with these statements. Houston 54, have you heard anything about this? Found it at http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Upland-Birds/Upland-Bird-Regional-Forecast

Region 5 - Southeast Kansas

Upland bird hunting in Region 5 will be extremely difficult this fall. This region was affected by two different winter events that had negative impacts on gamebird survival. However, the greatest impact to gamebirds was the heavy rain and flooding that occurred in late June and early July. There were areas in Region 5 that received more then 20 inches of rain in less than two days. The flooding occurred at the peak time when quail were hatching and prairie chickens were rearing their young. As a result of low breeding numbers and near reproductive failure, the number of gamebirds available this fall in Region 5 will be at all-time lows.

Pheasant – Most of Region 5 is outside of the pheasant range. There are a few areas in the western and northwestern counties where pheasants persist at very low densities.

Quail – As a result of low breeding numbers and near reproductive failure, the quail population across most of Region 5 will be at an all-time low this fall. Some areas in the far northwestern portion of the region weren’t affected by the winter storms and received much less rain last June. Quail numbers in that area will probably be similar to last fall.

Prairie Chickens – Greater prairie chickens are most abundant in the western and northwestern counties of the region. Spring counts were generally similar to last year in the northernmost counties and somewhat less than last year farther south in the region. Good nesting cover and favorable weather in the northwestern portions of Region 5 should result in similar or slightly more prairie chickens than last year. Prairie chicken numbers farther south in the southern Flint Hills will be much lower than last fall as a result of low spring breeding numbers, poor nesting cover, and heavy rainfall during the brood rearing period.

Last edited:
This is the area you want to be looking at for Liberal

Region 3 - Southwest Kansas
The upland game forecast for Region 3 looks very good except for a few small areas. The far western and northwestern counties in Region 3 were covered with deep snow last January and February, resulting in above average overwinter mortality. The extreme northeast portion of the region was also hit with heavy May rains that negatively impacted pheasant production. However, gamebirds came through the winter in good shape in the rest of the region and moderate weather in early summer resulted in very good nesting conditions.

Pheasant â?? Due to good production this summer pheasant numbers in the snow-affected area rebounded and will be similar to last fall or only slightly less. Pheasant numbers in the far northeastern counties of Region 3 will be similar to last year on the strength of good carry-over through the winter. Hunting in that area will be a little tougher than last year because a higher percentage of the population will be adult birds. Pheasant hunting in the rest of Region 3 will be much better than last fall due to relatively mild winter conditions and above average production. In fact, expect pheasant hunting in the vast majority of region 3 to be similar to 2005 and one of the best seasons of the last 15 years.

Quail â?? Quail populations in Region 3 will be down substantially in the far western and northwestern reaches that had deep snow cover last winter. Bird numbers in the rest of the region will be similar to last fall. The best prospects will be in the southeastern and southcentral counties which offer some of the best quail hunting opportunities in the state.

Prairie Chickens â?? Most of the prairie chickens in Region 3 are lesser prairie chickens with a few greater prairie chickens residing in the northcentral and northeastern counties. Counts this spring were down substantially in this region due to drought in 2006 and heavy snow cover last winter mainly in the far western portions of the region. Nesting conditions were good throughout the range in Region 3, so populations have probably recovered somewhat. Expect prairie chicken hunting in Region 3 to be similar to last year with the best opportunities in southwestern and northcentral counties.

N.D.
I really don't put a lot of faith in these reports. Eye witness reports from guys on the ground, is what I rely on.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

As I have talked about, I will be hunting in Liberal the 2nd wk of Nov. I was wondering around the internet tonight and found this report. How true is this, does anybody care to agree or disagree with these statements. Houston 54, have you heard anything about this? Found it at http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Upland-Birds/Upland-Bird-Regional-Forecast

Region 5 - Southeast Kansas

Upland bird hunting in Region 5 will be extremely difficult this fall. This region was affected by two different winter events that had negative impacts on gamebird survival. However, the greatest impact to gamebirds was the heavy rain and flooding that occurred in late June and early July. There were areas in Region 5 that received more then 20 inches of rain in less than two days. The flooding occurred at the peak time when quail were hatching and prairie chickens were rearing their young. As a result of low breeding numbers and near reproductive failure, the number of gamebirds available this fall in Region 5 will be at all-time lows.

Pheasant â?? Most of Region 5 is outside of the pheasant range. There are a few areas in the western and northwestern counties where pheasants persist at very low densities.

Quail â?? As a result of low breeding numbers and near reproductive failure, the quail population across most of Region 5 will be at an all-time low this fall. Some areas in the far northwestern portion of the region werenâ??t affected by the winter storms and received much less rain last June. Quail numbers in that area will probably be similar to last fall.

Prairie Chickens â?? Greater prairie chickens are most abundant in the western and northwestern counties of the region. Spring counts were generally similar to last year in the northernmost counties and somewhat less than last year farther south in the region. Good nesting cover and favorable weather in the northwestern portions of Region 5 should result in similar or slightly more prairie chickens than last year. Prairie chicken numbers farther south in the southern Flint Hills will be much lower than last fall as a result of low spring breeding numbers, poor nesting cover, and heavy rainfall during the brood rearing period.

Don't worry about this report ND Field. This is last year's report. Notice that it was last updated in 07.

About this year though, my dad just came out to visit this last weekend. He said it is unbelievably dry in Southern Pawnee county right now. He said there are some chicks in just about every field he goes in, BUT he said he has no idea where they're getting their water. He went on to say that "All years can't be banner years", which is his way of telling me to expect the worst. I'm hoping that good cover is the reason he's not seeing many birds, but I'm not holding out much hope. I for one am not spending my opening weekend in SW KS. It is too hot and there are too many snakes for me. I'm going to try public hunting in a different part of the state. Best of luck to you. I'll keep everyone posted on the reports that I recieve from a few different parts of the state.

I figured these reports were kinda like fishing reports. One guy goes fishing and doesn't get a bite, and another catches one on every cast. I just hope this will keep some of the pressure down, and maybe we can get on some birds. I always have a good time in the field, limit or not. It is always enjoyable, and a learning experience. Without bad days we cannot have the good days.

Back