Iroquois county

Remington44

Just wondering if anyone has hunted in the dnr put and take in Iroquois county.. If any could give me some tips on how it works that'd be great!

I have hunted at the green river put and take before so I can tell you how that put and take works. You just show up at check in time than when you check in you pick what area you want to start in you have to stay there for the first hr of hunting than after that you can move to the different areas. At green river you have to use non toxic shot shot so check to see if that also applies for the area you are going.

Yeah I've hunted at silver springs.. Thanks for the reply but I probably should have clarified.. Because at silver springs you have to enter a drawing to get a permit before hand.. So I was basically wondering if u just show up and sign in.. Does it get pretty busy on weekend.. And how many different areas do they have?

Iroquois county is pretty good. I like it a lot better than des plaines. You can either go the the Illinois dnr website and buy permits before you go our wait for the lottery when you get there. As long as I've been going there it has never filled up. All standby Hunters get on. It's not anywhere near as busy down there. Also a pretty good place to hunt.

If you are going there then check out the place across the state line in Indiana Willow Slough. You'd need a IN license but it's bigger and I know there are wild pheasants and quail on that property.

Did a quick run to pheasant hunt last Sat morning. Hadn't had a chance to scout so just rolled the dice.

The one place I know I can always hunt, and always have seen birds is out of the CRP program (or whatever it is called now). The cover is mostly gone but the guy said go ahead if I wanted to.

I kicked up one cock and unfortunately it was tucked right on the side of the ditch and as my dog popped over the edge it flushed. Was a very nice bird with great color and long tail. I didn't shoot.

Did take a seat and watch the neighbor and another guy work a little honey hole that he allows me to hunt later int he season. I counted 14 birds that flushed but know there were probably twice as many that I couldn't see flush out the other sides.

They shot a couple of times at birds I couldn't see. Did not get a chance to talk to them or my other buddy that hunted that day in a bigger party.

Back