Iowa vs Kansas

If they were honest about what they actually might lose in true profit from leaving some edges around everything, then I guarantee you there is a guy on here or myself that would gladly pay that number to hunt those strips. Because the true number is a lot less than you'd think.

to hunt those strips
The kicker is that almost all of it is private land you cannot hunt without permission though.

I can't comment on the profit gain or lost, but clearly anyone can see that its definitely improving water quality and wildlife habitat. It was phased in over time and landowners have come to accept it, even with heavy resistance when it was first mandated.

Last edited:
The kicker is that almost all of it is private land you cannot hunt without permission though.

I can't comment on the profit gain or lost, but clearly anyone can see that its definitely improving water quality and wildlife habitat. It was phased in over time and landowners have come to accept it, even with heavy resistance when it was first mandated.
I once asked permission to fish a trout stream in MN. It was an old codger who owned it, we caught him out in the shed working on his tractor. He did bring up the buffer issue, and boy was he mad about it! I held my tongue, because I think the mandatory buffer strips are great! We had some really good trout fishing there.
20200425_102705.jpg

I talked to Iowa DNR, and they don't pay landowners a dime for IHAP! WOW! That surprised the crap out of me. They do invest money, but it is only to keep those properties CRP eligible/compliant. So they have manpower and do habitat work to make sure the land stays in CRP, the owner continues to get their CRP payments from whoever, and the land is open to hunting. Great program, I hope it really takes off. There's a lot more birds in Iowa and the southern half of MN then in Kansas in the present day.
If they would offer a little bit more money, that might open-up a lot more of those CRP acres to the public.

Imagine how much benefit a buffer strip law would do for a state like Iowa or Kansas. The problem is the agriculture industry. They are greatly against it because it cuts into crop production and therefore, profits.
The birds number would explode! Most farmers' excuse for not wanting to do the filter/buffer strips, is that those acres are their most productive acres...and they are right.

If they would offer a little bit more money, that might open-up a lot more of those CRP acres to the public.

The birds number would explode! Most farmers' excuse for not wanting to do the filter/buffer strips, is that those acres are their most productive acres...and they are right.
I believe that mandatory buffer strips are the last chance for upland birds and clean water in many states. Every day I see environmental activists protesting this and that but not ever a word about buffer strips. Maybe we should whisper in their ears. Those who could help the cause would listen to them long before they gave us a second thought. :mad:

They aren't the most productive acres, that's what's so frustrating. The outer edge of any crop especially by trees has substantially lower yields than the rest of their field. If the wildlife departments would show them what they'd save by moving out even 15 ft and save that tillage, seed, fertilizer, and chemical against fighting it to harvest marginal crops on those edges it looks a lot different. You take our area of Kansas in the drought this year, a lucky hill ground field made 20-30 bu of soybeans. On the edges were single digits to zeros because the lack of water, we didn't grow a profitable crop on those edges that also drag our insurance average down. Like I said above if they were honest about what a strip of 30 ft beans made against a tree row then they would honestly tell you they'd be dollars ahead to leave it to grass and let the state pay for it or some uplander who hates driving all day to give him a few bucks to hunt it.

Last edited:
Like I said above if they were honest about what a strip of 30 ft beans made against a tree row then they would honestly tell you they'd be dollars ahead to leave it to grass and let the state pay for it or some uplander who hates driving all day to give him a few bucks to hunt it.
Truth. Even after using a root plow on the tree rows that strip is still less productive.

They aren't the most productive acres, that's what's so frustrating. The outer edge of any crop especially by trees has substantially lower yields than the rest of their field. If the wildlife departments would show them what they'd save by moving out even 15 ft and save that tillage, seed, fertilizer, and chemical against fighting it to harvest marginal crops on those edges it looks a lot different. You take our area of Kansas in the drought this year, a lucky hill ground field made 20-30 bu of soybeans. On the edges were single digits to zeros because the lack of water, we didn't grow a profitable crop on those edges that also drag our insurance average down. Like I said above if they were honest about what a strip of 30 ft beans made against a tree row then they would honestly tell you they'd be dollars ahead to leave it to grass and let the state pay for it or some uplander who hates driving all day to give him a few bucks to hunt it.
The filter/buffer strips around here are generally on waterways, not so much having many trees and that low ground these last couple years around here have been the best yielding acres in the fields. Driving around late this summer there were many field that those were the only places the was any green left in the fields, everything else was dried-up. That ground also is where a century of water erosion has deposited a lot of the top soil. If you put in filter strips you will still have an outer edge and it will be even less productive than the one that was closer to the water. I agree an outer edge next to trees is a negative investment, they would be ahead to put in a bit of grass headland even with no payment.

Last edited:
If our friends from Iowa could confirm this , I believe they had a very big CRP campaign to benefit Monarch Butterfly’s and other pollinators which in turn was a significant uptick in bird numbers .

Iowa DNR has a formula when there is a drier spring under some many inches of rain and snowfall in northern Iowa is under 30 some inches they have good bird numbers .

Hope someone from Iowa can confirm this .

Habitat is the key , 2 other states that I have Upland hunted in require you buy a habitat stamp I think time has come where Ks should do the same .
Don't know about the DNR's formula but the last 3 years we have had both milder winters and perfect spring nesting conditions. The decline in our numbers was a combination of declining crp acres and a string of 4-5 years of hard winters and crappie wet/cold springs.
The area where I hunt has seen the numbers back to the late 90's early 2000's with little change in crp acres.

I once asked permission to fish a trout stream in MN. It was an old codger who owned it, we caught him out in the shed working on his tractor. He did bring up the buffer issue, and boy was he mad about it! I held my tongue, because I think the mandatory buffer strips are great! We had some really good trout fishing there.
View attachment 6681
Wow that is a massive trout for a stream. Obviously if there's trout in these waterways, the water is very healthy. Trout need cooler, well-oxygenated water with minimal pollution to survive.

Bird numbers would explode in states like Iowa. And water quality would greatly improve. See trout above.

It would take a lot of balls to mandate though. Agriculture has even more power in Iowa and Kansas than it does in Minnesota.

It would take a lot of balls to mandate though. Agriculture has even more power in Iowa and Kansas than it does in Minnesota.
Gov Kelly, She'll let 'em hang and do the right thing, I'm sure of it. hahahahahahaha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127-082533_Google~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127-082533_Google~2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
Back