Iowa report from today

How did the SD trip go?
Not good, we saw birds. Still a lot of corn up in the area we were hunting. First day I had a $500 vet bill after my older dog got into a barbwire fence. Buddy I was with left the next day because his dog was having health issues that they hadn’t figured out till after he got home. Needless to say our 5 day trip turned into a 2 day shit show. So I left the following morning drove through ia on my way home to mn.

Tried NE Iowa this weekend and sorry we went. Beautiful country with much more deer cover but it was our worst weekend bird count this season. A real struggle. Sticking to the west going forward.

What county?
Stayed in Charles City. Hunted within a 40 mile radius. No other hunters in our motel. We figure because there isn't much public land in that region. We saw birds but mostly where we couldn't hunt them. I have no doubt there is some fine private land there. Drier than a popcorn fart. In my opinion that had a big effect on bird dispersal. Large tracts of land with no water. The "white" road dust was epic. Saw a lot of bucks. The rut was still going.

Stayed in Charles City. Hunted within a 40 mile radius. No other hunters in our motel. We figure because there isn't much public land in that region. We saw birds but mostly where we couldn't hunt them. I have no doubt there is some fine private land there. Drier than a popcorn fart. In my opinion that had a big effect on bird dispersal. Large tracts of land with no water. The "white" road dust was epic. Saw a lot of bucks. The rut was still going.

That is a perfect synopsis of NE Iowa this year. Jackson, clinton, jones, all been trash on public after opener. 10 miles walking per bird currently for us. Its so incredibly dry that i have to beat my clothes on the truck to get the dust off when done with a field. Also been 3-5 trucks at every access the last couple weekends, heard zero shots the last two weekends.

Have had friends limit every weekend so far in NW on public, i just cannot get away for the weekend trip to join them.

I think i could have gotten 3 bucks with my lead 5s so far. They are so incredibly stuck in the rut that they walk right past you and the dogs without a care in the world.

Got out Sat morning for a couple of hours on public in the Central part of the state and got 1. Same story as the previous weeks, the roosters were running and/or flushing way out ahead. We tried the shorter grass first, then dove into the cattails and started kicking up a lot of birds, but they were out of range. I had 1 decent shot and barely clipped the bird. We headed toward some water to cool off the dogs and a rooster flushed out ahead of us from the trail. He landed in some short grass next to some cattails so we went after him. He must have ducked into the cattails, then ran out of running room so he flushed in range and that was it for him. It was a nice, big bird.
I'm ready for colder weather and hopefully some snow.

I took off for Iowa Sunday morning from MN. I hunt NC and NW Iowa, often on the same day as I move around. Anywhere from just west of 35 all the way to Okoboji. I got to my first spot at 8:30 and there were trucks parked on both sides(this didn't bother me as I kinda figured that might be the case). I saw two hunters walking the cover and noticed a rooster that flushed low and away to private ground. The hunters were probably 400 yards away! I doubt they ever saw him. It reminds me of articles that talk about smart birds using escape cover, he definitely got out of Dodge real quick. I decided to hunt ditches in the area as the dog needed to run a little and go potty. No bird contacts. I did notice as I was leaving 45 minutes later the 1st truck had left and a different one had taken its place. I only heard one shot that morning. I moved to a good sized piece and decided to hunt because no one was there. I don't really like this spot but I always hunt it anyways(do you have any spots like that?). We walked a good bit here and only saw two hens. My wheels were starting to spin as I thought, "this might be a long day with zero opportunities." It was getting warm so we took a break and I drove to my next spot, when low and behold I saw a rooster running down the ditch on the edge of the brome grass! Here was my chance. I drove past him a good ways, parked the truck and got ready. Working into the wind the dog flushed a hen on the edge of the ditch/field. Then she got on a hot scent and started straight lining it down the ditch. I ran as fast as I could and she flushed that bird and I missed him:( . I wonder if the gun club will set up a scenario where you sprint and then a clay is launched at 30 yards and you try and stop and shoot? This might help me in the future😅. I was running out of ideas, and I knew I could hunt ditches all day, but I'm more of a ditch opportunist, I like to hunt good looking ones when I see them but mostly hunt wma/wpa ground. There was a spot I had been dreaming of. I knew if I went there it'd be the last spot of the day. I decided to go all in. It took a lot of walking and was a bear to get to(that's all I'm gonna say!). When we got in, Skye hit scent immediately, and I mean a hot scent! She took off at fast clip, juking and jiving back and forth, with an intensity that told me this was the real deal. She soon put up a rooster that I promptly missed twice, then cracked the gun to unload and another rooster flushed of course🤯. She was so excited after that, I took her a short ways to the line and we took a quick break. We had found an untouched pheasant sanctuary!! As soon as we continued she hit scent again, working furiously, this time it was one flush, one shot, one retrieve, boy was I relieved to hold up my end🙂. In the game bag and away we went. She was on scent continuously, next flushing hen after hen after hen. We also saw a whopper buck jump out of the grass over the fence, and then he just stared at us for a long time, always neat to see. We got around a cattail patch and the dog went wild, crashing in and out and up flushed a really nice rooster, I got him with one shot and Skye brought him back. I think at this point with all the shooting and rustling around the roosters were a little more on guard. The dog was birdy more often than not, but the birds started running and/or flushing wild. I never got another shot, but was really happy to have gotten two on public ground at this point in the season as most everything has been pounded hard. Where I seen all the birds, I'm not sure if it had been hunted yet this year, at the very least it probably hadn't been hunted in a week or so, because the difference in birds was a night and day difference to everywhere else I'd hunted. Good luck everyone, I'm not sure when I'll be back to hawkeye land, but I'm sure I'll give another try or two this year.20231119_164650.jpg

My buddy and I had a very neat encounter with a local farmer on Sun morning. This after dodging the horse and buggies racing to church.
We were running a ditch and ran into a man in the ditch running a skid steer. He walked a ways to my buddy, who didnt see him, when he stopped there to hunt. So my buddy put his gun and dog away to greet him. I saw him approach from a ways off as I was hunting towards my buddy. Ended up being the land owner or one of the young men in the family. After sizing each other up we both concluded we were facing good people and from there the conversation was fun.
I asked questions about the land, the animals, farming, water, etc. Really good guy. As we were about to part he offers us a piece of land to hunt right within sight not 100 yards away. It was getting warm and we didnt want to burn the dogs down but we graciously agreed. Within sight of him and our truck we commenced to drain 3 roosters. Just walking that land was enough. He has no idea how happy he made a couple old guys. We gave him an update and thanked him again. I wish I had his information so I could send something over the holidays.
This is at least the third time we have been invited to hunt private land without asking. Its a nice feeling.

My buddy and I had a very neat encounter with a local farmer on Sun morning. This after dodging the horse and buggies racing to church.
We were running a ditch and ran into a man in the ditch running a skid steer. He walked a ways to my buddy, who didnt see him, when he stopped there to hunt. So my buddy put his gun and dog away to greet him. I saw him approach from a ways off as I was hunting towards my buddy. Ended up being the land owner or one of the young men in the family. After sizing each other up we both concluded we were facing good people and from there the conversation was fun.
I asked questions about the land, the animals, farming, water, etc. Really good guy. As we were about to part he offers us a piece of land to hunt right within sight not 100 yards away. It was getting warm and we didnt want to burn the dogs down but we graciously agreed. Within sight of him and our truck we commenced to drain 3 roosters. Just walking that land was enough. He has no idea how happy he made a couple old guys. We gave him an update and thanked him again. I wish I had his information so I could send something over the holidays.
This is at least the third time we have been invited to hunt private land without asking. Its a nice feeling.

That is what it is all about! That is why I always advocate talking to local farmers when you are going to hunt a ditch, I have had the same experience.

If you can pinpoint the house or land on a map, you may be able to figure out the address to send him a surprise thank you. Doing this will almost certainly ensure you are invited to hunt again any time and probably make his holidays extra special.

Back