Iowa Quail

arringto

Hello Iowa. This is my first post so I thought I'd tell y'all about my Iowa hunting experiences. In 1994 I made my first trip to Iowa with a friend and we hunted around Bloomfield. For a couple of Ga boys we had a blast even when the locals said there wasn't many birds. We knocked on doors and found enough places to keep us coming back for the next 3 years. In 1997 we hunted for 3 days, harvested 3 roosters and sorta gave up on Iowa. All of this was in southern Iowa, so we never really hunted the prime pheasant areas of the state. The next year we started quail hunting in Kansas and I was hooked on Kansas quail. We went back to Iowa in 2001. This time we hunted public land and I think there was more hunters than birds. I haven't been back to Iowa since then. This year we are going to try southern Iowa for quail before our annual Kansas trip. I've been reading about how well the quail have been doing up there. Hopefully the weather cooperates this spring and summer and the birds continue to do well.

I was at a Buddy's farm near Bethany, Missouri last summer (about 10 miles from the Iowa state line) and heard several quail whistling. I don't know how it is up in Iowa, but Kansas has had a huge resurgence in the quail population over that past 3 or 4 years. I see big coveys daily on my family farm in southeast Kansas, many more than a few years ago. I know Missouri's quail population has increased too, so I would assume that at least southern Iowa should have some good, if not great quail hunting. I could be wrong though since I don't live there, but a lot of Iowa is similar to eastern Kansas.

Well I'm looking forward to getting up there this fall. We may try to come up this summer for a few days to do some scouting. I just hope this winter hasn't been to bad on the birds in Iowa.

Back