Interesting Walk-In Article

I think you are right sounds very promising for CO hunters. I forwarded the article to my son who lives in CO. He loves Upland bird hunting but says not a lot of places top go where he lives. It sounds like things are starting to look up. I hope that CO hunters will take notice and support Pheasants Forever.

Kiva,

I am very involved in Pheasants Forever and am thrilled to see this article in the paper. Unfortunately the Federal CRP program is under funded, and thousands of acres are being plowed under each week as they leave the CRP program and are put into crop production.

The Corners for Conservation program is something we are doing in Colorado to negate the impact of lost CRP. The program is still in its infancy, but the corners which have been planted are showing AMAZING results. You will likely see them this fall when you are out hunting and I am confident you won't be disappointed. :thumbsup: We have made a great first effort, and if the program can build momentum, Colorado could become a hidden gem for pheasant hunting (but don't tell anyone). Too late! :D

All of this said, now is probably the most important time in Colorado to support organizations like PF. If you like what you see, become a member, go to a banquet, or become more involved with your local chapter.

PS - when I say "we", I mean CPW, PF, Muley Fanatics, and all of the other partners.

The corners program is awesome! Glad that CO is making an effort on this - had good success in KS previously with theirs. I went and scouted a number of the WIA corners this past weekend and the cover in most of them was fantastic. Couple those with some good CRP WIA nearby and should make for some good hunting.

It seem like Colorado is trying to improve their walkin programs. The novice hunter program also seems like a good idea. We will be getting some young hunters out on these areas this year. It's amazing how much kids love pheasant hunting when you get them out there.
Kiva

Colorado has neglected pheasant hunters forever. We have all been willing to pay a walk in fee to get the kind of quality that Kansas had. They don't care.

Colorado has neglected pheasant hunters forever. We have all been willing to pay a walk in fee to get the kind of quality that Kansas had. They don't care.

I think this may have been true in the past but they are now doing more than ever and there is great momentum on the ground. As the corners for conservation article states, this is just the beginning and there is great optimism the funding stream will increase significantly. The corners being planted are the best available habitat and the contract requires the land be in th walk in program. They are using the best no till drills and a seed mix that surpasses anything used in the CRP program. The end result is pheasants should thrive provided we get decent moisture.

Also consider many things we're out of CPW's control. The drought had huge impacts and allowed for emergency haying and grazing on most CRP. The end result was miserable habitat for birds. This is another benefit of the Corners program; emergency haying and grazing is not allowed.

So I say give the program a chance. Become involved in PF and see how we are partnering with CPW to make Colorado a upland bird hunters playground. If you truly give it a chance and still aren't satisfied, be sure to wave on your way to Kansas.��

So after reading this thread, i got off my butt and re upped my pheasants forever membership. I let it lapse and just neglected it till now.

Thanks for the reminder. Excited for the corner program...

So after reading this thread, i got off my butt and re upped my pheasants forever membership. I let it lapse and just neglected it till now.

Thanks for the reminder. Excited for the corner program...

:10sign::thumbsup:

Love it! Every membership helps!

Did a lot of exploring yesterday after bagging my limit by noon, and some of the Corners acreage is really high-quality stuff. Missed a nice rooster on one of the plots and bumped another just out of gun range. Kudos to the PF folks!

I think this may have been true in the past but they are now doing more than ever and there is great momentum on the ground. As the corners for conservation article states, this is just the beginning and there is great optimism the funding stream will increase significantly. The corners being planted are the best available habitat and the contract requires the land be in th walk in program. They are using the best no till drills and a seed mix that surpasses anything used in the CRP program. The end result is pheasants should thrive provided we get decent moisture.

Also consider many things we're out of CPW's control. The drought had huge impacts and allowed for emergency haying and grazing on most CRP. The end result was miserable habitat for birds. This is another benefit of the Corners program; emergency haying and grazing is not allowed.

So I say give the program a chance. Become involved in PF and see how we are partnering with CPW to make Colorado a upland bird hunters playground. If you truly give it a chance and still aren't satisfied, be sure to wave on your way to Kansas.��

I look forward to our upland bird hunters playground:thumbsup:

These corners you are talking about, are they the circles I see in Sedgwick, Phillips and N Yuma Counties?

Most of the C4C properties are in Phillips and Sedgwick counties. In addition to the walkin sign you will see an orange C4C sign.

Back