Interesting Quail Study

We see the hawks because they are out and about during the daytime but nocturnal ground dwellers and owls do more damage IMHO. Can't do much about them. Feral cats might afford a real opportunity for improvement in many areas though.
The quail are usually roosting in cover when the owls are out. I would think they would be harder to find then in the day time when they are moving about. Skunks and possums get a lot of nest.

The quail are usually roosting in cover when the owls are out. I would think they would be harder to find then in the day time when they are moving about. Skunks and possums get a lot of nest.
No doubt about ground dwelling egg eaters being the absolute worst, but I wish I had taken a photo of the stack of owl pellets bursting with quail feathers in one of our hay barns.

I'm not the anti- hawk/owl guy but it sort of baffles me as to why the Federal government bans thinning feathered coyotes out at least a little bit. Beautiful birds - but IMHO we have just a few too many, and a few leg hold traps de-tempered with fire (see, I am humane) and left on random fence posts would not (checked daily) would, I believe, help the quail. And pheasants. I don't think the science supports the law.

Drifter,
That did it, now I really must go check out Byron Walker, soon. Looks like SOMEONE is doing a hell of a job there.

In the "its small world" department - have you ever run across a fellow wildlife management professional that, last I knew, was working in SE Colorado? Patty Moore by name. Extremely dedicated professional with a real passion for restoring quail in VA. Despite the many frustrations, she went at it full tilt and non-stop until she married a G-Man and ran away to CO. Much could be learned of slowing the decline of quail/habitat from her (and no doubt you could return the favor). She knew her stuff and told it the way it was - PC not a factor.
Wish Va. still had her ! We desperately need to focus on our quail / grouse and even woodcock population (or lack of ) way too much attention and $ spent on deer !

Wish Va. still had her ! We desperately need to focus on our quail / grouse and even woodcock population (or lack of ) way too much attention and $ spent on deer !
Deer are popular on my area as well, but the way I address habitat management is that all quail habitat is also deer habitat but not all deer habitat is quail habitat. With that basis, I manage for quail knowing it is also going to benefit deer and turkey. Native, I do not know Ms. Moore. I do get out to the national quail symposium some years, get to the Bollenbach chair a few times, attended the NBCI national meeting in 2017, and made the Texas All Quail Symposium once. There are a lot of things to learn from the research folks. Try to absorb all I can and put it to work on the ground.

Thanks, good to know. In my experience, much more limited than yours I am certain, once you got 'em - they always come back but from your excellent information above, I surmise the "replacements" are transports from, maybe, seeds in bird poop from other cedars in the general neighborhood. Now for the $64 question - how do you make a honey locust go away and never come back without the application of world-class carcinogens to the "stumps"!

And by the way - you are an excellent example of what I'm talking about when I refer to very high knowledge/skills/dedication of the KDWPT professionals at the ground level.
KS,

Another way to kill locust is to remove the above tissue shortly after they lead out. As PD has mentioned earlier deciduous trees store their energy in the roots sytems and use that to initiate growth in the spring. Most of these energy reserves are consumed by growing new tissue and leaves. The locust will sprout but not as vigorously and if repeated over time you can reduce their density. Another way would be slow moving ground fires that can kill the root system, however, this can be have negative impacts on beneficial species.

As you mentioned most effective is cut and treat stump........

Deer are popular on my area as well, but the way I address habitat management is that all quail habitat is also deer habitat but not all deer habitat is quail habitat. With that basis, I manage for quail knowing it is also going to benefit deer and turkey. Native, I do not know Ms. Moore. I do get out to the national quail symposium some years, get to the Bollenbach chair a few times, attended the NBCI national meeting in 2017, and made the Texas All Quail Symposium once. There are a lot of things to learn from the research folks. Try to absorb all I can and put it to work on the ground.
That is a shame, as Ms Moore is, or at least was, the female Troy
KS,

Another way to kill locust is to remove the above tissue shortly after they lead out. As PD has mentioned earlier deciduous trees store their energy in the roots sytems and use that to initiate growth in the spring. Most of these energy reserves are consumed by growing new tissue and leaves. The locust will sprout but not as vigorously and if repeated over time you can reduce their density. Another way would be slow moving ground fires that can kill the root system, however, this can be have negative impacts on beneficial species.

As you mentioned most effective is cut and treat stump........
Very good information - thanks!

It has been awhile, but we love the "upper lower" in MI. People, place - and birds. Sort of what Kansas is but lots more trees. And snow.

Back