Insite to Hunting around Waterloo?

DI_Dan

Hello All,

Relatively new to Iowa, brand new to this forum, and just getting back into bird hunting after more than a 20 yr "vacation". Have new 9 month old pup (Wired Haired Pointing Griffon) and trying to get her on a few birds. Live in the Waterloo area and tried the Big Marsh area north of Parkersburg last weekend. Not so much success. Any suggestions of public areas in the Waterloo area I should try? Should I range out further? If so, in what direction?

Dan

Not familiar with that part of the state, but you should get a public land atlas to show all the surrounding public areas. Good luck.

Thanks Addict,

I have researched the hunting grounds available near Waterloo, and will work myself through some of the closer areas. Seems that the greater number of birds are to the north of Hwy 20 and west of I-35, and I won't be getting that way yet this season. Hopefully I can find a few birds near to home. Might try the Aldo Leopold area near Readlyn tomorrow or Tuesday if it's not too cold.

Dan

Where to go

Hello Dan,

If you want to get into numbers of birds with the chance to put several in the bag I would suggest that you drive to the NW corner of the state. More specifically the Top five and drop down five counties. In other words, the 25 counties in the NW corner. You can find birds in other counties but if you seek numbers and consistent points, you will have to travel there.

IfI you want to experience any of that in central Iowa--my home area, then invest your time in gaining permission on private lands. You will not currently find decent numbers of birds on the public lands where you and I live.

There is a big piece just south of Hwy 20 between Waterloo and Independence, I think it's called Cumbacher or something like that. Hunted it by myself xmas morning and found a few hens. It's a lot of ground to cover, but there is a ton of good bird cover. Snow is deep though, so be prepared for a work out. seems like the birds are hanging out in the thick stuff. Hope this helps, good luck with the pup.

Thanks all for the reply's. I did try the Aldo Leupold area east of Waverly and found a few birds. The 9 month old puppy needs more training though. I thought she was doing okay on whoa, come, etc in the yard, and also in the field behind the house but................ Add a few birds and some good smells and she got a really good run. She doesn't run away, does stop and look for me, stays in front but what energy. Need better control on commands to keep her focused.

Dan

I know the frustration, i have a 11 month old Brittany that is as tall as a lab. the dude can cover some ground for sure. It's sounds like you have a good foundation built with him, hardest part is staying calm with a high energy dog. you've got at least 3 more years of that. I got a shock collar and it made a world of a difference, and I was totally anti the collar, but the dude would get on a strong scent and it was like nothing else mattered. I love that determination though, don't want to ruin it by hollering and screaming at him.

Lucygoosey,

I am going to add the e-collar, but wanted to make sure the commands were solid before doing so but seems to be almost the right time. Belle is a pretty sensitive pup and don't want to make her shy or timid. So I bite my lip after the second command and just keep working with her. Last thing I need to do is run all over the field hollering at her, no doubt frustrates both of us. And she is fun to watch!

I did find it interesting last time we were out that she would hardly stop for a hand full of food. This dog is food motivated like I have never seen, but when chasing out in the field even food takes second or third place. Good drive, just need to refine it. I forget the time it took to mold the last dog, about 2 years but that was 13 years ago. How soon we forget.

Dan

Thanks all for the reply's. I did try the Aldo Leupold area east of Waverly and found a few birds. The 9 month old puppy needs more training though. I thought she was doing okay on whoa, come, etc in the yard, and also in the field behind the house but................ Add a few birds and some good smells and she got a really good run. She doesn't run away, does stop and look for me, stays in front but what energy. Need better control on commands to keep her focused.

Dan

Hi Dan, Where did you get you wpg? I am very interested in this breed. Is this the first one youve owned? Please keep us updated on her progress?

Season is about done. I live in La Porte City. If you want to get together and do some bird work. Let me know.

Wew will be running crzy with just 4 days left. But you are welcome to check in with us. Maybe you can tag along this week!

Hi All,

Tried Union Hills on Saturday with little success. Almost stepped on one hen, but that was it for birds. Just lots of walking! Worked the west, and south west areas, as well as the north east fields . Attached a 50 ft, 1/8" nylon cord to the pups harness and that really helped a lot to keep her close and get her to work more methodically. Very nice area for birds, just need the birds now.

Sorry for the delayed replies, was out traveling for work.

Dan

Back