Information about Upland Game Bird funds

calamari

Here's info from DFW's site describing the types of projects that the fund is supposed to support. If you look at Fish and Game Code Section 3683 which defines upland birds you'll find Collard Doves on the list. When I worked for a public agency I always found it easy to make us look foolish using our own regulations.
It boils down to setting priorities as far as which animal to benefit by which project to fund. Why they use grants seems unusual because they have to pitch the benefits and compete for the money as opposed to the fund being allocated in a pro rata way to all areas. On its face it makes sense but in practice I'm not sure. Look at the goals and it looks like things should be good as far as habitat. The makeup of the committee which reviews spending for projects may be interesting.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/grants/ugma/

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Cal, good stuff.

I don't understand why the Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assoc. should have a place at the table involving upland habitat. They are a gun advocacy group like the NRA involving rifles and pistols if you take their clubs name literally which can't be used for upland game birds.
If you go to the websites for some of the members like Connley you'll find a way to get in touch with him. He'd be a good person to ask how it all works.

Back