Info on December hunts?

LABS HUNT

Has anybody been out hunting late November in the Medina or Jamestown area? I hunted middle of November out there and did ok, but messing with the idea of planning hunt next year in early December.

I've had good luck hunting ND in December. All the crops are out and the crowds are gone for the most part. Any place you've shot birds in November should be good in December. However, it might be difficult to plan a trip that far out with the weather. If you have some flexibility, it's better to decide a week or two in advance when you can see the forecast. The highs were in the 60's when I hunted there in December two years ago. Or you could have highs below zero like they are right now. I don't mind cold weather hunting, but that's pushing it.

Dec weekends you might see a few hunters, weekdays you'll have the place to yourself. Pheasants are bunched up in the best food/cover areas.
DPF is right on about the weather, pick your days accordingly.
The weather right now is brutal all across the area. Makes for impossible hunting conditions.

I hunted in and around that general area in Late Novemeber. We hunted all day and the 9 of us limited out. The next day 5 of us hunted for two hours and shot 11. This was the saturday and sunday Nov 23 and 24th. We found them Pretty much bunched up in catails, dense tree rows, and food plots. I was in the same area for opening and we didn't do quite as well. I personally prefer Hunting in Nov and Dec. Way less pressure, way less hunters, more interesting weather, and the birds bunch up more. Granted the birds are smarter it seems, you usually need posters and be prepared for tuffer (longer) shots. I will say if going late in the year best too take more than a couple days off, cause you might be spending a day or two inside watching TV.

Back