Indian reservations

I have hunted SD reservations plenty of times. Standing Rock, Sisseton, Yankton, Oglala Sioux. Deer and upland. Use the map provided, Onx, and other resources. I had a few run ins with locals throughout the years. To sum it up, all bark and no bite. I am probably jinxing myself now. I try to know the name of the warden and telephone number. "Call (insert warden's name) and tell him he can meet me at my white truck over there". I also carry the map on me and ask them to show me where we are. Typically they will decline until they calm down. Second request they will grab the map and adamantly point 'right here!'. Okay thanks, your game and fish says we can hunt red, yellow, and green. See you later. I also had locals try to check us for licenses. I guarantee you the wardens don't drive around in busted 90s trucks with flannels and jeans on. Skip that process. That was for deer hunting.

Upland hunting I had no problems. We were in birds every single day. We enjoyed our time. Typically we would park off the main roads on the two tracks. We didn't use a guide. We would swing tips here and there from locals. It was mostly just searching for the right terrain. I would resist the urge to say 'yes' to random people driving up and asking if we needed a guide. One year turkey hunting we actually said 'yes' for $30-40 after a gas station attendant in Kennel hit us with $100 price. Nope, we will do $40. A local came walking over 5 minute later, hopped in the truck, cracked a beer, and took us around to plenty of spots for a few hours. It was worth the paltry $20 a person to get great information on spots and easy ways to access those spots. The next fall our party harvested one of the biggest whitetail bucks off that guy's information.

Hit me up if you need more information.

It’s a slippery slope, for sure ! The next time I come back I will definitely look into hunting the natives land, appreciate the good information

I have a friend that will be hunting the Lower Brule Reservation next week with a few other guys that have been there before. I'll get some straight bird reports from him and post them and his experience .

Back