In Field Dog First Aid Kit

Munster927

I'm working on putting together an in field dog first aid kit that would go in a small pouch on my bird vest. Curious what sort of things you guys use or recommend here. I already have a full on first aid kit that I got from Gun Dog Supply that has all the goodies in it, but that's obviously something for the truck, not the field.

So I'm interested to hear what sorts of things you guys carry with you in the field as emergency first aid stuff that's generally just to get them back to the truck to either use your actual first aid kit on, or rush them to the vet if it's necessary. I'm wanting to keep it relatively small and lightweight as I'm already probably carrying too much shit haha

I have a multi tool with pliers to pull quills, a short slip lead, benadryl and a a squirt bottle of water to flush eyes. If they need a temporary bandage I would gladly donate my shirt sleeve and the lashing straps from my vest. If they are hurt bad enough to need first aid I am heading back to the truck and done hunting them for the day.

Curved jaw cable cutters(straight jaw cutters, vise grips, etc. just flatten the strands of the cable and won't cut it). Wooden dowel rod, about 1" diameter to keep dog's jaw open while removing quills.

I'm working on putting together an in field dog first aid kit that would go in a small pouch on my bird vest. Curious what sort of things you guys use or recommend here. I already have a full on first aid kit that I got from Gun Dog Supply that has all the goodies in it, but that's obviously something for the truck, not the field.

So I'm interested to hear what sorts of things you guys carry with you in the field as emergency first aid stuff that's generally just to get them back to the truck to either use your actual first aid kit on, or rush them to the vet if it's necessary. I'm wanting to keep it relatively small and lightweight as I'm already probably carrying too much shit haha
Munster,
There is a good conversation on this in the forum topic "What's in your vest?" I have a quick med kit in the vest with 4x4's, cable cutters, vet wrap, quickclot, and tape. I have two med bags in te truck with higher level care capability. One is dedicated to the dog with a skin stapler, meds, trauma care, stethoscope, and a box of meds to stop blood flow in a gunshot scenario, etc. My big bag has a bunch more stuff like suture kits and stuff to deal with MVA, etc.

1721655964233.jpeg

1 antibiotic salve
2 tape
3 gauze
4 scissors
5 wire brush
6 rimadyl
7 saline solution
8 gas to get to the vet

Last edited:
I carry only two things, needle-nose pliers to pull quills and nylon filament tape to hog-tie the dog with for the duration of the quill extraction. More stuff in the vehicle, of course.

In vest- honey packets, wire cutters w zip ties (traps), EMT Gel, hemostat, multitool, slip lead, small saline, small hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. and some gauze.

Truck Kit - battery operated beard trimmer, stapler, rimadyl, liquid Benadryl, and about everything else for dogs and humans.

Adventure medical makes a kit for working dogs that is actually pretty good, but too big for the vest. It is a good option for folks looking for a compact truck kit.

Needle nose pliers, zip ties and a leash. All other things in the truck. Good luck taking care of a gunshot wound or a MVA without a Helicopter, Ambulance, Er, OR... even with those things often death occurs.

Here's what I ended up putting together for an in field kit. Everything in the one picture fits nicely into the accessory pouch of my final rise vest, which sits on the side of the vest. Enough for some minor things to either keep hunting or to get back to the truck if more aid is required.

Attachments

• 20240803_122133.jpg
    20240803_122133.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240803_124428.jpg
    20240803_124428.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
Back