IL PHA Lottery - Sibley PHA ?

I finally won the lottery ! :) The IL PHA lottery that is. I drew a permit for the Sibley PHA in Nov. Has anybody hunted the Sibley one or other PHA ? Sibley looks to be a pretty large area.

Happy Hunting

Luck Dog. lol

Yes there's birds. Wild.

You picked an area of Illinois where pheasant numbers are good. From what I understand there's over 600 acres at Sibley and Pheasants Forever has had an hand in habitat improvements.

Good luck and let me know how you do. Pics of any birds harvested would be a bonus!:thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to going as well!!!!! - I have heard that it is one of the best places to bird hunt in Illinois. Hmm- that is kind of an oxoymoron. Bird hunting in Illinois

Sweet !

Sounds like I really did win. Do I have the entire area to myself? I can bring 5. My 16 year old son is gonna love this deal..

Sounds like I really did win. Do I have the entire area to myself? I can bring 5. My 16 year old son is gonna love this deal..

That's a good question:confused: As far as I know, you will be the only ones out there, though for the larger areas I don't see why they wouldn't allow more hunters. Maybe someone else has a definite answer. Sorry:eek:

There will be another hunting party out there as well as your group.There are two different parking lots on opposite sides of the property so you will probably not even see the other group.A friend's friend was drawn for Sibley last year and said the cover was very thick but they say they saw a tons of birds!You are very lucky to have gotten drawn,I have be 0 for the last 9 years.I hear some people get drawn 2,sometimes 3 years in a row,very frustrating.Good luck and let us know how you did.

Very interesting, approximately how many people enter this lottery?
It might be something Pa. could look at in it's WPRA locations.
Oh, and congratulations on winning!

Had a great day!

Just got home from sibley and I must say I'm impressed. The area is a full section that's been stripped and sectioned- I wish they did that in some of the sodaks large publics.
They only allow 12 hunters on the area at a time. I ended up bringing my son, two buddies and their kids. I try to make it point to introduce young kids to the joys of hunting. We needed to make an effort to get youngs kids into our passion.
We only ended up with two roosters in the bag but a lifetime of memories. I dumped a rooster 10 minutes after we started into a pond. That's a first for my 2 year old lab. Who says pointing labs can't point, especially on wild birds that have been hunted. I was able to show an 11 year kid a roost along with some poop and tell him this was prime area. Not 2 minutes afterwards a rooster erupts between us. I miss on first shot but hit it on my second crossings right to left. We flushed a bunch of hens too.

I'll post some pics of the hunt. Both were big mature birds. One of them had some crazy spurs.

Sorry for the dissertation but I couldn't hold back.

I'll post some pics of the hunt. Both were big mature birds. One of them had some crazy spurs.

I really enjoyed your post Birddog. Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you made some nice memories. That's what it's about my friend:thumbsup:

And, yes! Please do. We love to see photos of those wild IL roosters! I'm a bit partial, but I believe we have some of the finest looking wild roosters in the country.;)

P.S.--don't forget about that DNA study please! If you can help out that would be great. Thank you.

Post #11
http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124886#post124886

Back