IDNR Pheasant Lottery Results

pccraig

Just got an email stating I was successful in the lottery for a PM hunt in Silver Springs. My son and I don't have a dog.

Has anyone here hunted Silver Springs before ?

And typically, how receptive are hunters to allowing others to join them with their dogs ?

Craig,

I hunt Silver Springs 5-8 times per year. Good cover, almost too good early in the year. Can be tough walking. Hunting without a dog can be tough as the pen raised birds like to "sit tight". There is a dirt road that runs east / west in the middle of the Main field. Hunt along that road as that is where the birds are released from. If you can hook up with someone with a dog that would be best. I know when I limit out I ask other guys how they are doing and either offer to hunt with them to try and get them birds or offer my birds to them so I can keep hunting ;)

Thanks Bob, so in your opinion would it seem weird if I asked someone with 2 dogs if my son and I could hunt with him ?

I would suggest getting there a little early and you can talk with the other afternoon hunters. Everyone is different. Some would not mind and others may. You just don't know.
Here are some other suggestions I have.
1. Try and schedule an additional hunt or two for later in the season Dec/Jan. The cover will be knocked down and the birds head for the tree rows. Much easier to get shooting at the birds then. If snow is on the ground, even better.
2. Since you live in McHenry CO, would Chain o Lakes be closer to you? They have woods there and the birds go there. Much easier for a guy and no dogs.
3. The DNR offers a "youth hunt" for hunters 10-15 years old on 11/7 or 11/8. Not sure how old your son is but this is a great hunt. Only the child hunts, Parent supervises and its free.
Hope this helps. What is the date you are scheduled to go to SS?
Bob

Back