Identify Please

BleuBijou

Asking for help in identifying this type of Bullet! Looks to be 45-50 cal. Who makes this style with the nipple at the base?? Could of been used in illegal activity, this is why I am trying to figure out the use of this round! Thanks for your help!!!! Chad

IMG_6306_zps93e44ee1.jpg
IMG_6308_zpse2856e3b.jpg

I am thinking that is a CVA Powerbelt bullet for a muzzleloader.These have a plastic sabot/base of bore diameter attached to the rear of the actual bullet. The stud in the base is the point of attachment for the plastic base.

My best guess,
BobM

I find it hard to believe an Elk would stand there and take 6 shots from a muzzle loader, but that may be the case. Maybe from a pistol of some sort? Thanks for the response. I was thinking muzzle loader at first until I found so many just under the skin or in the skin!:cheers:

WOW. That is weird how none of them penetrated! 5 were in the kill zone!

It is really weird!! I wonder what that guy was thinking after shooting it so many times ?????? With no results!! Plated armor I guess!!! Well, I guess my shots did not go through him for the first time ever shooting at elk!! Maybe he was just to old and leathery !!!!! LOL!!

Most likely was shooting way to far. I use triple 7 pellet powder. Each pellet is 50 grains. If he did not use 150g and then tried to shoot 250 yards, that could be the issue. Heck Schocky shoots everything on the planet with one. I would not hesitate to load 3 pellets for a 150g 50 cal BT, and let her fly at an Elk 150 yards. He may have had a scope and had an elk caught on a rock face somewhere or was able to follow him some how. With a scope I could see some goof trying to shoot way too far.

Could be the case! Colorado does not permit pelletized powder or scopes for muzzle loaders . He must of been a good shot with the wrong amount of powder or maybe it was one of those hollow point power belts , hard to tell now! DVWM wanted me to send him the bullet. Bullet sent off today!

could they be .45's from a cap and ball .45 revolver?
.50's from the smith and wesson 50 cal revolver?
curious,dont know if those slugs can be loaded in revolver cartridges

odd they deformed that much with no penetration,looks like they hit hard but i'm not familiar with the optimum velocity of that slug

Nope its a power belt. Something is way odd. That load done right should roll an elk no prob. I would shoot a griz with one and feel safe in the process. Watch what Jim Shockey does on his shows with a smoke pole. But he don't get carried away either with range. It's weird for sure being 6 shots, but muzzle loader to be blamed is not the answer. Clearly it was an idiot problem.:D Strange you cant use pellet powder, it is so much safer and easier.

judging distance here, because some of it's so wide open,can be deceiving
you might think the guy took 6 long shots but we're told he shot a pretty nice group
odd that he was that consistent
huh? :confused:

regarding the use of pellets,scopes,etc.
there was supposedly a war between the "traditional" muzzle loader people and the modern in -line people and the traditionalists won
it tend to shift back and forth as to what's legal and what's not
as does the status of prairie dog shooting on public lands
seems like the rule changes every year

Here's some more pics of those Power Belt bullets. I don't use any smoke poles.

regarding the use of pellets,scopes,etc.
there was supposedly a war between the "traditional" muzzle loader people and the modern in -line people and the traditionalists won
it tend to shift back and forth as to what's legal and what's not
as does the status of prairie dog shooting on public lands
seems like the rule changes every year

In lines are legal! But the pellets, sabots and scopes are a no no ! I kind of like it this way although I don't hunt very often with the smoke pole. It does keep it somewhat traditional. I think each side gave a little!! Right in the middle it seems.

yep, inlines are legal
didnt mean to imply that they weren't
iron sites only, havent read the rules in a while,dont know if anything has been changed
the modern in line is a pretty sophisticated weapon from the reports,upgrades etc.
i especially think i would like the one with the breech plug that you turn a 1/4 turn to remove the load, clean ,etc.
i assume that means you take the plug out to unload it so you dont have to unload it by shooting it
still musing about the original thread ?wonder what that guy's idea was
another interesting fact our midwestern neighbors might find curious:we're only allowed to hunt elk,deer, antelope with one weapon per year
one elk season only, one deer season only
maybe i got to far off course as to the thread:)

yes (Co)
as i'm sure your aware and to elaborate for others,breifly,if you bow hunt for elk in any year, than you cant hold a rifle tag for elk that same year.there may be special circumstances that i'm not aware of
same for deer
some midwestern states,they're allowed to take more deer with the various different weapons.archery ,ML,pistol etc.
so it makes sense to them, in my opinion ,to have one of the more sophisticated ML
so we're clear I think our(Co) way should be more like their way
and i dont me necessarily harvest more elk,just more opportunity to hunt until you do take one

Back