Ideas for Enhancing Pointing Instinct

Dcup

Anyone have any good means/methods of enhancing the pointing instinct in 12 week old GSP pup? I have a fenced in back yard that is currently full of snow, but I would like to enhance the pointing sensation for the pup in the house. Any ideas?

Let him have the first 6 months to be a pup. Get him around as many kids as you can. The pointing instinct will be there if he comes from hunting parents. Be patient.

wing

Put a wing on a string, tied to a fishing pole or bull whip. A pup is never to young for this. He will chase it alot at first, but will eventually start pointing it. Doing this will help develop the pointing instinct. Do not do this after the pup is 5-6 months old, or you will have problems later. he will want to point with his eyes instead of his nose.

You can't develop instinct. Its there or its not. The wing on a string makes for nice pictures but doesn't develop instinct. Birds make a bird dog. Find pigeons during the off season or a local NAVHDA chapter can help with the training days.

You have to develop and hone instincts. I do agree birds make a birddog but all dogs dont hold point the first time they get scent, you have to teach them (or help them develop).

When I go buy a pup, or am deciding which one to keep out of a litter I have raised, I put a wing on a string. I do not completely base my decision on it, but I want to see which ones are interested.

I have a training book written by Henry P Davis (who was probably inducted into the Field Trial Hall of Fame before any of us were born) and he suggests this method.

Let him play, throw live pigeon or quail out in front of him in a cage, let him go for it, after 2 or 3 minutes take the cage with bird in it and run away, put it up, get his mind on other things, repeat this several times during the 0 to 6 months age! About 6 months bench work him on "WHOA", no pressure, firm his style, tail up, chin up! Put him out with caged bird again, after scenting he should point, WHOA him with leash, firm him up, go from there!

Let him play, throw live pigeon or quail out in front of him in a cage, let him go for it, after 2 or 3 minutes take the cage with bird in it and run away, put it up, get his mind on other things, repeat this several times during the 0 to 6 months age! About 6 months bench work him on "WHOA", no pressure, firm his style, tail up, chin up! Put him out with caged bird again, after scenting he should point, WHOA him with leash, firm him up, go from there!

When styling him up on a barrel or board, put the bird in a cage out in front of him and an elavated level. This will also help keep his head up.

Dog Will Point

Anyone have any good means/methods of enhancing the pointing instinct in 12 week old GSP pup? I have a fenced in back yard that is currently full of snow, but I would like to enhance the pointing sensation for the pup in the house. Any ideas?

Your dog will point in due course. There is no need to do any training specific to pointing. Once it starts pointing, which it should do instinctively, if it develops a problem such as trying to grab the bird you may have to do some training.

What's the background of your pup?

If you get a pointing dog pup from one of the more popular breeds (there are some breeds without a strong/consistent pointing instinct) and it has a proven background there's no need to do anything to bring the pups pointing instinct out. Wing on a string things are ok a few times but they do not substitue for wild birds and shouldn't be counted on as such.

With winter pups I'd just get a few birds--I find small quail ideal, but pigeons or chukars can work as well--to introduce. If you are new to pointing dogs many books and video's discuss or demonstrate this. After that, forget about birds until the snow leaves, work on basic obedience being careful to be firm and consistent, and become your pups best buddy.

Back