Ideas for Dog Run

Dcup

Hey guys, its been awhile since I've been on. Just have a question for some of you older guys that have had outdoor dog runs. What can I use besides concrete for the floor. I dont want to get spendy, but has anyone ever used pavers and then like a polymetric sand that hardens after it is sprayed? I heard that this stuff works well for health of pup pads, but I want to know where to find it, and if it works.

Any ideas would be great. I got the kennel, now I just need to figure out what I want to do for the floor. REally not sure about concrete, but let me know what you guys have done in the past. The wife is due with our first kid in a few weeks so I gotta get this thing going.

kennel

i used the kind of round but you can stack wood they are posts i guess or used for yard edging any way lay them down and i ran 2by 6s across them off of a deck a guy didnt want the wood works great no cost keeps the dog up off the ground but be sure to leave cracks between the boards though

I dont like cement for a floor but its the only way to go if you have more than a couple personal dogs. I believe its bad on feet and leads to skin problems in SH dogs.
I've always used 12" of washed 3/8-3/4"gravel for a floor. We have sandy soil so it drains well, use lime once in awhile to control odors. I bury treated 2x10's all around the edges and have never had a dog dig out, even the FBECS!!!

NB

Concrete looking @ 4.50-5.50 a sq ft to hire done. Cheap pavers cost 2-2.75 sq ft. Thats just pavers. Need base rock, sand, fabric,paver edging,spikes, and poly joint sand. I would not recommend pavers and thats what I do for a living. Theres no gain. Concrete will be easier to clean and not allow waste to seep through. Just need to have some rugs and beds in. Don't know what your budget is or if you need help send me a pm.

Last edited:
I have been looking into using polymeric sand with pavers over rock subbase, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Does it hold up to cold and hot, withstand the freeze and thaw cycle, etc.

I guess I was trying to save some money on building the kennel, I already purchased the kennel, now I just need to figure out something for the floor.

Dog Run ideas...

Greetings from Mn.

Have had a kennel in the back yard for 40 years. Original was concrete but it cracked in several places - used rerod and 3.5 inch slab. Cracked out part of the old slab several years ago and installed square pavers (12") and filled in sides with cement.

They have not moved, cracked or heaved. They are easier to install and if cracked, just replace with a new one...if the dog complains.

Jon

Poly joint sand is used to fill the cracks of the pavers, it is not used as a sub base. Properly installed pavers will outlast concrete, but thats properly installed. If you want to save money then go with concrete and its a better choice.

Back