ID help

I tried calling the dnr guy today but he didn't answer. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your answers. Maybe they planted it for deer or turkeys. It's a pretty big field.

Is it vetch? I think so. Cover crop.

So I just talked to the dnr guy and he doesn't know because he hasn't been to that property this year. What he did tell me is that the food plot is contracted out to a farmer. He said the planting is a cover crop. Last year it was a mix of oats and alfalfa. He said the farmer is allowed to cut it one time. The field is to provide early season nesting cover and late season he said deer like to nibble on it.

Sounds like it is alfalfa. A great food plot for deer, it flowers, so it would be a draw for insects. I would assume they can't cut it until after the nesting season, so good brood rearing, until it is cut...not much understory so the chicks could navigate in it easily. The more diversity the better.

It's also one of the best dove attractants there is. Cut it a week before season and they will pour in.

Sounds like it is alfalfa. A great food plot for deer, it flowers, so it would be a draw for insects. I would assume they can't cut it until after the nesting season, so good brood rearing, until it is cut...not much understory so the chicks could navigate in it easily. The more diversity the better.

In iowa its july 15th on public land when they allow the contracted farmer to cut the hay/alfalfa fields. Then on a typical year they get another cut late august. Cutting it provides good grazing for deer, groundhogs, and turkey/pheasant.

That last cut should be the 1st cut date. There would be a lot of young chicks July 15th. In the regular CRP programs, such practices are not to be done from May 15th to Aug 1st in Iowa.

That last cut should be the 1st cut date. There would be a lot of young chicks July 15th. In the regular CRP programs, such practices are not to be done from May 15th to Aug 1st in Iowa.

The CRP i dove hunt is not allowed to be mowed or manipulated until sept 15, at least that is what the farmer has told me several times.

Back