Ice fishing

I know it's a hunting forum, but I was just wondering how many of you go ice fishing? Do you go out of state and if so where? What bait you like using? Have you done any cool ice fishing contest and won the big prize? Any big fish caught while ice fishing. I Ice fish locally catch perch and walleye. I won a contest no one caught anything so they picked names out of hat and I won the minnow bucket. Better than nothing:D

Used to ice-fish all the time in Montana, but out here you can't trust the ice when you get it. Was fishing Clark Canyon Reservoir one year; slow day, but all of a sudden my rod tip moved. Hooked into a heavy fish, fought that rascal all the way up only to have it break-off below the hole. My partner said, "Yeah next your gonna tell us it was huge." "Don't know how big it was, Bob . . . but when I looked down the hole all I could see was an eye" . . .

Some of my favorite memories are of ice fishing with my family. We always caught alot of walleyes. Go up to Minoqua for perch and walleyes. My favorite bait for perch is sweet corn. Walleyes, can't beat a minnow on a tip-up.
Just waiting for the ice to get alittle thicker to go. Have seen a few guys on the ice already.

Yea, I live in some of the best fishing in MN area. Different times for different fish. Waxies for perch, sunnies, crappies. and a giant fat head or tiny shiner for eyes. Won an ATV in Park Rapids a few years ago with the largest rock bass.:D Ice fishing is in full swing here. Not to motivated this year though. I plan on bird hunting the last few free days.

I've never heard of using sweet corn? I'm going to give it a try:thumbsup:

Heres what I say went I catch a rock bass. Get the net I got a big one (summer time fishing) Oh s#%@ it's a rock bass:) Winning an ATV would of been alright.

hey cootie. i dont think you were pheasant hunting when you broke thru ice last week. i think you were noodling for mud rockets:D

Coot,

My brother and I gave our uncle a good ribbing when he pulled that can of sweet corn out of his pocket. Then he started catching more fish than us. the best part is if you don't catch any you have a can of sweet corn to eat!:p

Hope it works for you!
Let me Know,
Scott

i used to ice fish all the time..but i got this crazy idea of selling all of m,y ice fishing gear and using that money to buy me a shotgun (870 combo) and take on hunting

Hey KB now, have you ever drove on water??? That is cool.:cool:
What is neat about ice fishing here in Alex is the water is so clear you can watch fish as you fish for them, it definatly makes the day more fun and interesting. Play keep away from the little ones.:D

Just got done getting my ice fishing gear out. Cant wait to go, But the ice around my here isn't quite ready yet. Soon I hope.

The ice fishing is up and running here. I have already seen some permanent houses out. I am working on planning a weekend trip to mille lacs coming up soon with my college buddies.

Hmmm...6 guys in a 12x24 ice house for 48 hours with beer and booze flowing. I think I better bring an air freshener too!

The ice fishing is up and running here. I have already seen some permanent houses out. I am working on planning a weekend trip to mille lacs coming up soon with my college buddies.

Hmmm...6 guys in a 12x24 ice house for 48 hours with beer and booze flowing. I think I better bring an air freshener too!

:10sign::10sign::thumbsup:

i have never been ice fishing i sure would love to try it someday.

Back