I have to brag on my Pup.

dc240nt

Have to brag a little on my 13 mo old GSP Pup. I took her out last night to public ground. We went to the far end and worked into the wind towards a bottleneck between a big water slough and corn field. At one point she was in some cattails and canes for a long time. I wanted her out of there but she wasnt coming. Then she jumped a big hen out of it and I thought alright, at least she had a reason to be in there. Finally she comes out and we take off still going into the bottle neck. She gets birdy and points a hen. Perfect point. We go another 50 yards and she goes on point again. I jog over and jump a hen but she's still on point. I flush that bird and its also a hen. We continue on and I can see a guy with a Lab working towards us. Doing the same thing as us just from the opposite direction. When he seen us he turned around and worked back to his pickup. I had to decide to either turn around and rework the same area we just went thru, or go ahead and work the area he just left. We went to his area and it wasnt two minutes (the guy wasnt to his pickup yet) and Elsie is locked up on point. I walk in and flush a rooster...one in the bag. Not 50 yards farther and she locks up again. Another rooster, but it flushed out over the water so I didnt shoot. On the way back she pointed another rooster just outside of the corn field. An hour and a half on public land, two roosters, which was also our first limit, and we were back at the pickup by sundown. I was as proud as a peacock! She pulled those two roosters right out from under that Labs nose. And she found both birds with the wind at our backs! We watched them work the area. This guys hunts a lot because I see his pickup all most everytime I get out. He might be loking for a better dog. ;)

At the same time I'd like to commend the guy for showing what kind of person and sportsman he is. When he seen us he clearly made a decision to leave the area. It wasnt that there wasnt room for both of us, its that if he would have kept going he would have taken away half of my hunt. He had a right to keep going and he chose to leave the area to me after he read the situation. If I ever meet him I will personally thank him for doing this. He showed sportsmanship and hunting ethics. Qualities that seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

Back