I didn't get him, but gooses cousin would have.

Bob Peters

Sunday with one bird bagged, tired dog, I hit the road to scout for golden hour. Lo and behold, driving to a corner of the new secret public addition, a pheasant flies kitty corner from the 🌽 into the public, and lands 50 feet from the road! I thought hen. I parked, dilly dallied around for 10 minutes, then thought I better jump out to make sure. Into the corner, wind still swirling like crazy, SUDDENLY HE FLUSHED 5 STEPS BEHIND ME!!!! I swung around discombobulated at a bird I could have hit with a tennis raquet. My sight picture was filled with a full-colored cackling rooster and behind him a large metal building owned by the county where they park snowplows. The building was too close for my comfort, so I rode it out a few seconds till altitude was gained over the roof and proceeded to whiff on a grand scale.

I thought to myself, gooses' cousin would have got him. He's not afraid to bounce a few bbs off barns, combines, barnyard turkeys, or even goose himself!

The happy ending, a few hours later I walked a different spot, worked the grass for 20 minutes, only to pop out on the old man path on the wma's edge, where Roxy promptly spooked a rooster out of the first corn row and I didn't miss that one! Sometimes I'm glad MN has a two bird limit, makes a greenhorn like me feel better a lot of days.

Attachments

• 20241013_170356.jpg
    20241013_170356.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
Back