I-90 West of river

tomt

Hi all,

Anyone hear or experience the conditions and bird numbers on the I-90 corridor around Kennebec, Presho, Murdo this year? I'm heading up over Thanksgiving week with my 1 yr old lab for a week (lost my 13 yr old "lab of a lifetime this past winter, to deaf to get out of the way of a momma cow during calving season, hunted well all the way to the end though) most likely solo but possibly with one other ol friend. I know that the area doesn't have a huge amount of public land but I feel that I know it passingly well and there are a couple of doors that will open for me when I come knocking (and the elk steaks I bring along don't hurt ;)).
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,

Anyone hear or experience the conditions and bird numbers on the I-90 corridor around Kennebec, Presho, Murdo this year? I'm heading up over Thanksgiving week with my 1 yr old lab for a week (lost my 13 yr old "lab of a lifetime this past winter, to deaf to get out of the way of a momma cow during calving season, hunted well all the way to the end though) most likely solo but possibly with one other ol friend. I know that the area doesn't have a huge amount of public land but I feel that I know it passingly well and there are a couple of doors that will open for me when I come knocking (and the elk steaks I bring along don't hurt ;)).
Thanks

There are a lot of birds in that area. The guy's in the hotel ditch hunting were doing well even without any dogs. We also saw a bunch southeast of chamberlain

Thanks for the encouraging report. Packed and ready to go (3week wait is going to hurt though)

Just returned from a weekend hunting near Winner. Two of us limited out both days in less than 90 minutes. I see a lot more birds along the highway south of Presho than in the past couple of years.

I hunted solo out of Chamberlain last weekend. I found good hunting almost every where I went. After trying a walk-in the first day, I turned to ditches and got a limit every day; although a one man limit is not that many birds, I was able to flush enough roosters for me. Mostly flushed one, and sometimes two birds at a time, but a lot of roosters....I flushed a hen once, pointed perfect by the dog and I put my gun down just as it cackled; young rooster I guess. I think I probably flushed several of those but did not shoot...I hunted from Vivian to kimball and saw birds all along the way....There are lots of good ditches with plenty of cover, you will do good...Just stop and walk the ditches, there are birds in there, perfect for a solo hunter or maybe two people...Good luck......

Back