Hunting without a dog (Delaware Wildlife Area)

MKTESHI

Hi guys, first post so I'm sorry in advance if I don't follow the procedures.

I moved from rural WI to urban Columbus, OH 4 years ago and I've been having a hard time hunting pheasants. I live in a small apartment that doesn't allow dogs. Since I don't have family here I've been going on Thanksgiving day for the release in Delaware. I've seen plenty of people bagging pheasants, but it looks like they're all being flushed by dogs.

My two questions:
(1) Does anyone have advise for hunting without a dog?
(2) Would anyone be open to letting me tag along as a hunting partner?

I'm able to walk all day and have excellent trigger discipline. I've also been successful in hunting other game, just not pheasants. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Think if I was hunting without a dog I would concentrate on smaller cover and places you can use the terrain or features to your advantage to get birds to flush within range. Another thing might be to not go in the AM when crowds are their worst as that will give you more options and places to hunt. If you go when the crowds are there you might be able to join up with someone or a group that has dogs. Another option is to maybe go and observe when the crowds are out and look for areas they skip or don't get hit as those would be likely spots to hit later in the day.

I would gladly invite you along but I won't be hunting on Thanksgiving day or that weekend.

Good luck and stick with it and sure you will get it figured out.

Hi guys, first post so I'm sorry in advance if I don't follow the procedures.

I moved from rural WI to urban Columbus, OH 4 years ago and I've been having a hard time hunting pheasants. I live in a small apartment that doesn't allow dogs. Since I don't have family here I've been going on Thanksgiving day for the release in Delaware. I've seen plenty of people bagging pheasants, but it looks like they're all being flushed by dogs.

My two questions:
(1) Does anyone have advise for hunting without a dog?
(2) Would anyone be open to letting me tag along as a hunting partner?

I'm able to walk all day and have excellent trigger discipline. I've also been successful in hunting other game, just not pheasants. Thanks!

We're headed to Killdear the day after Thanksgiving. We'll have 2 GSP's and 1 English Pointer with two maybe three hunters total. I'll send you a PM.

Hi Matt D, Thanks for the tips. As for the terrain, I'm usually hunting pretty flat areas, but maybe I should focus on roadside ditches?

That's a lonely way to hunt birds, I feel for you.

Back when I was dogless, i found zig-zagging, and randomly stopping and starting, will get you a few flushes.

If you walk a straight line, the will let you walk right by.

Good Luck

Back