Hunting with a brittany dog

Me too. I have run Britts since the 70's. If had a Brit that ran that big, he or she would be wearing a check cord to slow them down.
I agree with you if the dog wouldn’t handle, but with a tracking collar and the lack of birds these days a big running dog makes sense. Sure there’s going to be birds that will flush before you get to her but that’s just part of the hunt. I never needed a tracking collar until this dog came along, I always thought I wanted to see my dog at least 90% of the time. I can always call my dog in at any time I choose, I’d rather have to call my dog in than have one that I wished would cover more ground but doesn’t. It really comes down to what you prefer nothing more and at my age I’ll never go back to a close ranging dog. My dog was trained by a professional that hunted off horseback which I’m sure encourages dogs to run wide. Hope you have a good upcoming season .

I agree with you if the dog wouldn’t handle, but with a tracking collar and the lack of birds these days a big running dog makes sense. Sure there’s going to be birds that will flush before you get to her but that’s just part of the hunt. I never needed a tracking collar until this dog came along, I always thought I wanted to see my dog at least 90% of the time. I can always call my dog in at any time I choose, I’d rather have to call my dog in than have one that I wished would cover more ground but doesn’t. It really comes down to what you prefer nothing more and at my age I’ll never go back to a close ranging dog. My dog was trained by a professional that hunted off horseback which I’m sure encourages dogs to run wide. Hope you have a good upcoming season .
Yes, Hope your season is a good one also. I used to have a French Brittany that was fantastic on Grouse. I always had to have her wear at least one check cord to slow her down. It took her about 30 minutes to get her in the right range. Then it was game on...

I trained a Britt for my boss once (for free). Of course, he was out of a grand champion something or another. The catch was he did not want me to use the shock collar. This was before tracking collars and after I'd lost a lot of my hearing from sledged hammers, heavy machinery, and gun shots so beeper collars didn't do a lot of good either. To say he was a handful was an understatement! I taught him heal, come and whoa. Then I cut him loose. I could not see him or hear the beeper most of the time. 500 yards was common. I told my boss that I needed to shock him, but he wouldn't have it. So, I told him I would try and run him down but no guarantees. It was tuff since he spang it on me a week before season opened. But I had the lungs, legs, and time so I did it. I probably ran him 12-15 times for hours each trip and was about to say uncle when he just quit running big. I think he finally realized each trip out was not going to be his last. I got him pointing and partially retrieving. I had him out with some friends after season and had some generous offers for him, but my boss wouldn't. I had him for about 4 months. I gave him back with directions, that he had to keep him exercised or he would run big. His wife walked him every day and moved him in the house. He never ran him until the next season. He took him out where he promptly lost him, fell in a creek, got lost himself and thought he was going to have a heart attack before he found him. So, Gunner wound up a house dog. But at least he got to walk every day.

How do Brits age as hunters? Some breeds seem to age better than others - are they still productive at, say, 11, or is that a geriatric dog that will see very little time on the ground? Not talking multiple day hunts.

I have one that is 13 and she is still going strong. She still has an excellent nose, but hearing has suffered. She stays closer now also. As a matter of fact we are going tomorrow....

Last edited:
How do Brits age as hunters? Some breeds seem to age better than others - are they still productive at, say, 11, or is that a geriatric dog that will see very little time on the ground? Not talking multiple day hunts.
Just got back from a hunt in SD, hunted 4 straight days, 6 to 7 hours a day. 3 Brits, 2 ten-year-olds - one M, one F, 1 six-year-old M. I did usually have only 2 on the ground at the same time. Geriatric - no. They were tired at the end of the day as I was yes. But ready to go the next morning. My dogs run, exercise all year.
I think genetics plays a part, but more important is how they are trained, fed and conditioned. Same applies to 2 legged hunters. I believe my two 10-year-olds will be fine next year.
Not so sure about me...

I have had Brits my whole and every one has hunted until 12 or 13 generally and all hunted up til they passed. Yeah they can't go for 5 days but a half day with rest. My expectations of them shifted as well, I didn't push them into hard/thick cover, I let them make that choice. I have a 9.5 year old and I have to watch her as I think she would she would run herself into the ground. She is still a machine both land and water.

I would say they (Brittanys) hunt extremely well to and through age 10 and then it depends on the dog. Some have retired themselves at 11. My 13 (just about 14) year old is a big, hard running dog in a small 33 pound frame. She did fantastic at 11 but at 12 she started to have issues with her breathing (she wasn't going to slow down). She has a "fallen" trachea and she is now mostly retired. Few 10-15 minute runs are about it. I suppose I could let her die in the field hunting, but that is NOT what I have decided to do.

Shot a limit of woodcock one day and a pair of roosters two days later with the Britt in my avatar at age 12.

My last 3 Brittanys have all lived to 14-15 years of age. Must be the IAMs senior brand dog food ... ;):unsure:

I pretty much walk every day with all my dogs. I try to walk 2 miles a day. Run them when we can. All have lived indoors.

Thanks for your insight on the age issue -it sort of confirms what I've seen around here in a limited way. Past 10, it's a crapshoot with Brits. Barring injury, gsps and pointers will hunt well from 10-12 and sometimes a year or three longer. But, those breeds are a lot of dog, so as always, trade-offs exist.
It would be kind of heartbreaking to have a dog that was retired for almost 1/3 of its life. Brits seem to be long-lived, but maybe their hunting careers are a little on the short side.

1 - 2 years retirement out of say 12, 13 or 14 years is about 17% (max) of their life by my math.:unsure:

I sure understand your skepticism, I’ve hunted Brittanys all my life and this is by far the widest running of them all.
A half mile is 880 yards or almost 9 football fields. Seems excessive for most Brittany bird dogs.

My dogs adapt pretty well to the cover and conditions (weather). Normal range is about 25 yards - 100 yards ... with most of the time spent about 60 - 75 yards out ... the coverage is pretty extensive left and right too ... not just out in front. They all have figured out how to pin runners too ... not always, but often enough to help fill the bag.

In short grass prairie, they may stretch out quite a bit pushing towards 150-200 yards but that is the exception.

All my Brittanys have set these ranges mostly on their own. I may work with them a bit on range, but I have now trained my 6 Britts on my own and do not use electric collars in training or hunting. Same for my brother's dogs.

My one Britt that ran far "bigger" than the rest will be approaching 14 years of age this fall. She still tries to run big, but her breathing can't keep up ... so she is mostly retired with a few 20-minute hunts in spots I know are compact and holding birds.
One of the greatest pleasures I get is watching my dogs work. I use an alpha now and find it very useful, especially in heavy cover.
But that said...it's mostly eyeballs on what my dog is doing a majority of the time.....and as I said, that's for my enjoyment

Your math is good Brittman - my point was that if it's a crapshoot past 10 and the dog lives to 15....that would be a bummer to go 5 yrs in retirement mode. 5/15 yrs which is assuming the worst is, of course, 1/3 of its life. I didn't at all say or mean to imply that would be all britt dogs. My last shorthair was retired 1 year out of her 16. So 6.25% of a dog's life is probably close to a best case scenario. My current dog is 13 and still hunting, so she's probably looking at around 7-14% of her lifespan as a retiree. Sample size 2, but pretty good numbers. I'm sure some britts get there too. Are there lines that are well-respected for longevity and health?

Back