hunting late season

mccuha

I have been thinking of coming out at the end of the season. What can I expect as far as crowds on public land, also the possibility of getting permission to get on private ground. Lastly as a general rule what's the weather like. any info would be helpful on the thread or a pm. thanks in advance

Late season, like January? Not much for crowds on public land, some but not many. The weather may be brutal, snow, highs 20 to -20 degrees, but I have seen it warmer (+30s) and last year the snow was spread out. Hunting can be good though, especially in the NW/NC. Most public areas have really good cover and draw birds in. Take a look at the January threads from this year (January 1-10), that will give you some idea.

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Just like the Clint Eastwood film,

The good--certainly can gain access to public and private land and the crowds are gone.

The bad--Must scout. We still have areas and counties where the birds have not rebounded from the decline. Areas that do not hold any pheasants even though cover is present.

The ugly--weather can be warmer and sunny or absolute hell. Conditions at that time of year can be well below zero on windchills(-30) or lower. Snow drifting can be such that walkable fields or cover is just not possible. Ditches can be filled in. Where are the birds?? In groves or areas too close to dwellings or farming operations for comfort(law) or possibilities of gaining permission.

I know some may think I'm crazy for wanting to come then but I hate crowds and hoping for birds to hold. I realize that I may have to make a decision right at the last minute as to whether to come or not depending on the weather. I also like to hunt when it's cold. Maybe not use to you guy's kind of cold but I go out of state a lot to duck hunt and really like the bitter cold weather.

Careful what you wish for!:p We frequently get weather that time of year that makes it dangerous or just impossible to hunt. I am curious what you feel bitter cold is. I don't know of many who enjoy temps once they dip below zero.:)

Like the others said, it can be some of the best hunting all season or the hardest. If you can find the right cover with the right amount of snow it can be a perfect storm most birds will hold really tight, or you might kick up the first bird and watch every bird within a quarter mile leave the area. Be prepared for blowing snow and COLD temps.

Good Luck

I realize my bitter cold is not what you local guys bitter cold (0- -10) but the main thing is having less pressured birds hopefully. As stated it could be that it's to cold or to much snow to come. If I'm not allowed to come due to weather I'll go elsewhere and try again the next season. I really like to travel to new states to hunt. I seem to go somewhere different every year. I have contacted some biologist out there already with some guidance but you are right that scouting will play a big role. Any info or guidance would be appreciated.

I grew up in Iowa, lived there from the day I was born until I started college. I have since lived in South Dakota and now Minnesota. The weather in January can be a toss up. Most likely it will be in the teens with snow on the ground, it could be a beautiful upper 30s and sunny, or it could be -30 windchill and dang near deadly out with blowing snow. Our idea of cold is probably different than your idea of cold, but you can still have a good time.

I've hunted in a lot of extreme weather, and often times they can produce good hunting. Some tips for January hunting... have 4 wheel drive on your vehicle. If the road or access looks too deep in snow, then it probably is, don't test it. Bring a shovel. Cell phone with battery and reception. Dress in layers, it's easier to take layers off then add layers on that you don't have with you. But don't dress too warm that you can sweat a lot, once that sweat dries you'll be miserable. If you stay dry, you can manage about anything. Last year, final day of the season in Minnesota was around a -30 wind chill, I wore ski goggles while hunting! There was no way in hell I could have stayed out with any part of my skin exposed, especially with the cold wind whipping at my face/eyes.

If there is too much snow on the ground, I would probably cancel the trip. Walking several miles in a couple feet of snow is not fun nor easy. I have worn snow shoes while pheasant hunting before in a few feet, and while they do help, they are also a pain at times while going through brush.

A lot of the cover will be snow covered, which is both good and bad. The good, there is less cover to search, when you find one bird, you will probably find several birds. The bad, when one bird flushes, you may also stand there watching every bird in the entire county flushing at the same time just out of range.

If you are coming that far, I'm guessing you will have a dog you're bringing with? If so, be smart with the dog but often times they are tougher than we give them credit for. I have a lab that you can just tell loves the cold weather, so I don't have much to worry about. However, a different breed that is not used to the cold, may have some struggles?

The best kind of flushes are roosters bursting our of some cover in the snow, it's a sight to see! My best advice, is just keep an eye on the weather and snow that Iowa is receiving.

Lastly, while you've come this far in January, stick around for (what I'm guessing would be your first time) some ice fishing! I'm sure somebody on here ice fishes and would take you out for a day if you post on here enough.

one more thing, bring enough water for you and your dog, keep it inside the vehicle so it wont freeze.....dehydration is a real threat in cold, dry, windy weather, stay hydrated! :thumbsup:

thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping for. I tend to play my trips by ear and have backup plans in place and or can reschedule at last min. I'm bringing a GSP and a Boykin.(my lab that was my go to dog for phez past this summer) I'm hoping for not a lot of snow a little would be ok. Anyway thanks again. I'm new to the phez game but have fell in love with it. A covey of birds stirs me up but all that commotion a rooster makes is crazy.

Back