Hunting Ks. in Nov

N.D.Field

Q's about hunting S.W. kansas (liberal) Just wanted to know a little about the terrain, what I may need fot the dogs ie booty's, vest etc. I am from Central/ South Texas and will be hunting there in Nov. I believe it will be the 2nd wk or so.

Thanks B4hand,
N.D.

I have hunted that area for the past 13 years. I typically boot my dog from the get-go to ensure he lasts the duration of the hunt. The terrain available in the walk-in program in that area is typically CRP grass which ranges from short scrub to chest high and thick. The best fields are located northwest of town in my opinion. There are several in this area and that early in the season you might have other groups in the same field you can team up with. I typically get out there the week of Thanksgiving and then the week of Christmas so it is not as crowded.

Some fields might require a bell/beeper on the dog to keep track of him. I always have a electric collar on the dog as insurance. You should not need chest protector on the pup from my experience in that area.

Good cheap place to stay in Liberal is the Ranch Motel. Has a park next door for walking the dog and decent eateries close by. Do not eat the mexican food in town though. It sucks.

I appreciate it Houston 54, the guys I am going with have also hunted there for the past few years, not really sure if it has been that long though. From what I have been told, we will be hunting both public and some private land.
I am looking forward to the hunt, one other q, how is hunting pheasant compared to hunting quail/dove from the dogs pov, should we do any "special" training to get ready for the ring necks.

Quail Dogs on Pheasant

I'm a Kansan who hunts where there are pheasant and quail. There are some differences. Pheasant don't hold as well. Some dogs will stay on point after the pheasant has moved away while other dogs will break point and reset or chase depending on whether the pheasant moves and then stops or, as is usually the case, simply runs. It is a waste of time to pursue a running pheasant because the hunter can't keep up and if they do flush it is too distant for a shot. So if the dog is trailing a running bird it is best to stop him and hope that the running bird will settle downfield. Because pheasant run, using blockers can multiply your shots.

Another difference is that pheasant, I believe, are faster than quail. So a bigger lead on passing shots is needed on pheasant. And, of course, heavier shot, no. 4 or 5 through IC and Mod. chokes.

Be glad to try to answer any other questions. Best of luck to you and your hunting party.

Last edited:
I appreciate it Houston 54, the guys I am going with have also hunted there for the past few years, not really sure if it has been that long though. From what I have been told, we will be hunting both public and some private land.
I am looking forward to the hunt, one other q, how is hunting pheasant compared to hunting quail/dove from the dogs pov, should we do any "special" training to get ready for the ring necks.

Like BritChaser metioned, hunting roosters is different than quail. I think it is very different for the dogs. IMO quail are pretty simple compared to pheasants. A hen pheasant sits like a quail, but roosters are much more challenging. They run and they run fast. They will test your dogs patience and its self-control. SW KS pheasant hunting is also an endurance challenge for the dogs. It will be hot in early November and there isn't much water in the area. I don't know how quail hunting works in TX, but depending on who you're going with, expect to walk several miles each day. Conditioning your dogs is very beneficial.

Thats what I had read and heard. I guess whoa will be pretty important in hunting pheasant. And thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
ND

One thing about pheasants that mess some people up, is their body length including that long tail. Some inexperienced pheasant hunters will shoot behind the bird or shoot the tail feathers. If you shoot'm in the eyes, you will have a dead bird.

It has already been mentioned about the roosters running and putting as much distance between you and them as possible. This can start when you pull up to a field, hunters get out, stretch their legs, pee, joke and kid around, let the dogs out, they pee and while all this is happening the birds are either headed to the other end or already flushing out of it. Do your necessary stuff before you get to the field and get your blockers in place if you have them, then get right into the field. Now these cagey roosters sometimes will double back on you and you will never know they are there.

Another thing is at the end of a field. We stop about 30-40 yards from the end of the field and wait for a minute or two. Be prepared. If you have pushed some birds to the end, you may be getting some fast shooting. Don't be surprised if birds come up from behind you or right under your feet. Remember safety first. When a bird comes up behind me, I point my gun toward the sky, then turn, make the identification and if a legal bird and it is safe to shoot, I lower my gun on the target.

Most areas in Kansas allow lead shot. There are a few public areas that I hunt, where waterfowl are present and non-toxic shot is required. I have both steel and lead with me in the truck at all times. If non-toxic shot is required you cannot have any lead shot on your body when hunting that area.

Remember your hunter safety card, if your age is such that it is required in Kansas. I don't remember the date in that law, but I think it is sometime in1957. Check the reqs for sure.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/

Good luck,

Maynard Reece Byrd

Dodge City

Good Advice

ND

One thing about pheasants that mess some people up, is their body length including that long tail. Some inexperienced pheasant hunters will shoot behind the bird or shoot the tail feathers. If you shoot'm in the eyes, you will have a dead bird.

It has already been mentioned about the roosters running and putting as much distance between you and them as possible. This can start when you pull up to a field, hunters get out, stretch their legs, pee, joke and kid around, let the dogs out, they pee and while all this is happening the birds are either headed to the other end or already flushing out of it. Do your necessary stuff before you get to the field and get your blockers in place if you have them, then get right into the field. Now these cagey roosters sometimes will double back on you and you will never know they are there.

Another thing is at the end of a field. We stop about 30-40 yards from the end of the field and wait for a minute or two. Be prepared. If you have pushed some birds to the end, you may be getting some fast shooting. Don't be surprised if birds come up from behind you or right under your feet. Remember safety first. When a bird comes up behind me, I point my gun toward the sky, then turn, make the identification and if a legal bird and it is safe to shoot, I lower my gun on the target.

Most areas in Kansas allow lead shot. There are a few public areas that I hunt, where waterfowl are present and non-toxic shot is required. I have both steel and lead with me in the truck at all times. If non-toxic shot is required you cannot have any lead shot on your body when hunting that area.

Remember your hunter safety card, if your age is such that it is required in Kansas. I don't remember the date in that law, but I think it is sometime in1957. Check the reqs for sure.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/

Good luck,

Maynard Reece Byrd

Dodge City

Excellent advice. No hurry moving through the field -- take it slowly.

Birds flying out of range

Last year was a good year for us in SW Kansas. Being from Utah I need some advise or technique to use when the 50 lift off 50 yards out in front of you.

This is the situation our group expierenced frequently last year. We would set up the blockers at the end of the field, drive to the other end of the field that we were going to push. Park the truck get the dogs out and head into the field. As soon as we got 10 yards or so into the field the birds would start lifting off about 50 - 60 yards out in front of us. After 5 or 6 groups of 10 + plus birds flying off my instinct was to run and try and get closer for a shot. This didn't produce much for birds in the bag.

Any techiniques use guys use to get the birds to hold? or do you take it slow and pick up the stragglers? I think I know that answer, but wanted to hear from the experts.

Thanks,

Jesse

Far Flushing Pheasants

You present a persistent problem in pheasant hunting. You have likely already considered these factors, but here they are. If you have a choice, hunt with the wind in your face so your sound does not carry as far; when you reach a field you intend to hunt, park some distance away and walk to the field; be very quiet -- no slamming of vehicle doors, loud talk and laughing, etc. either upon your arrival or after you enter the field. Putting blockers out puts the birds on high alert. If you can hunt toward a cover break such as road, you can do without blockers and may do much better considering the disturbance of placing blockers. If you feel blockers are necessary, try to place them as quietly as possible. Good luck this season. Share your stories with us.

Last edited:
something i might like to add to is when you place the blockers make sure that they are not standing up and making noise..place them 50 yards away from where they are supposed to block and have them sit down and get low..then when the pushers get closer and closer to the end the blockers should move up slowly

Thanks Brit Chaser for the tips. We will be in the Garden City area the 1st week of December. I will let you know how it goes.

Jesse

Be Prepared

Hi All,
I'm new to the site, but looking forward to reading and writing many posts in the future. I thought I could weigh in with some helpful advice to the hunters from TX.
Best to be prepared for any kind of weather in November. In Western KS you may see frost in the morning and t-shirt weather in the afternoon. Fall can be pretty unpredictable weather-wise.
I have made trips out to Western KS for several years now, and never booted my dogs. I had one episode with sand burrs, but it just took a few minutes to clean all the dogs' feet and get them going again. It probably isn't a bad idea, but probably isn't a necessity either.
Either way, good luck to you.
Toad

I can't stress enough the need for water. You'll need to bring your own and water your dogs after every pass through the field. I've never booted my dogs out here. In fact I've never found many pheasants where there are sand burrs. So my advice would be don't fight it just pick up and go where there aren't and stickers.

Water

Good advice Dogman. Especially early in the season I try to hunt somewhere near water so the dogs can stay wet on the outside too. Even if it isn't deep enough for swimming, they will get in a stream and lay down.

Back