Hunting in two states in one day?

4Paws

I have read on here that some guys are close enough to hunt both SD and ND I am also close enough to hunt both states within the same day. My question is this if I possess a valid license in both states am I legal to POSSESS a birds from both states??? or would I need to return to my house with one states bag and then continue on.............

I also had the same question this past week while hunting along the Minn/SoDak border. Sorry but I don't have an answer. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

About 5 years ago, I inquired about this issue. I ended up speaking to two GF&P conservation officers. I informed each that I planned to hunt in MN in the mornings and SD during the afternoons. I told them I planned to quick-clean any MN birds I harvested and store them in a cooler in my SUV, then do the same with any SD birds I harvested later in the day.

Both officers I spoke to indicated that as long as I could show a valid hunting license for both States and the MN birds would be cleaned and in the cooler, I'd have no problems with SD conservation officers in the field potentially citing me for a possession limit violation. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back