hunting in rain with young dog

c_d

Might try to get out for a bit this weekend. Forecast calls for rain. I'd like to get Fillmore out for a little work and some more experience. This just happens to be the only time I can get out. Any hints, thoughts, suggestions for a young dog and rainy conditions?

As brutal as it might be I would make sure to work into the wind as much as possible. You should try to work a pup into wind all the time anyways but it might be hard to ground scent with wet conditions. Also make sure you have plenty of bedding and towels to keep the moisture off them when you aren't hunting.

rain, sleet, snow no matter what the conditions are if you can handle it then the dogs can handle twice as much and the wet weather will help on scenting the birds also

thanks guys. I was a bit worried about birds running more than wanting to get up. but whatever. I know she doesn't mind the rain and I know she loves birds. Sounds like a fine combo to try out this weekend! :thumbsup:

Carry a couple of good towels and rub the dog down real good after the hunt. Get it as dry as possible. They love that towel rub down. Also let them ride where it is warm, no use asking for a sick dog........Bob

well, we got out Sunday for a couple hours. rain pissed hard the whole time and the wind blew strong most of it. we hunted hard and got soaked to the bone. one good thing was the temp â??*about 62 degrees. we were wet, but not cold. when I stopped Fillmore, she began to shake a bit, but she didn't want to quit, so I let her keep charging.

Just as I was thinking we were about to come up empty handed. making our last passes back to the subie, I look down at my feet and almost stepped on one! I took two more steps, called the dog back, and that sucker popped up and took off running with is head low. I saw him pop his head up about 10 feet away and so I sent her after him. Fillmore worked the area for 5 minutes or so (could have been less, could have been more. it felt like forever). She kept double backing downwind on the same path, so I was beginning to worry we lost him. The wind had died down pretty good, so there wasn't much to work with. Nasty cover was all around us. The only positive was that we were in a corner of a field, with two roads blocking for us. we dropped back a bit, then worked side to side towards the corner.

about 10 minutes later I saw that rooster pop his head up, fillmore dove in, and up he went. I winged him. he made it about 20 feet and hit the ground running. she chased him down, and after a bit of struggle she was bringing him back. That sucker was still alive! but of course as she tried to put him down his wings stared flapping and she wasn't going to let him get away. It was a great reward for the hard work in that nasty weather.

thanks for the tips guys. Gave me the confidence to go out there and have fun. it was all well worth it. Funny way to end it all - about a couple hundred yards from the highway as we're all packed up and heading home... 2 big ol' roosters are just out there in the middle of the road. might has well been folding those feathers up giving me the 'bird' :rolleyes:

Back