Hunting couple from Indiana

IndianaRose

Although my husband and I have been hunting together for nearly 40 years, we just discovered bird hunting last year. We both just recently retired. Our first hunt was guided and on a preserve, since pheasant aren't very plentiful around here. I remember my dad going bird hunting and usually coming home with a number of quail and grouse, and sometimes a pheasant, but he didn't take us kids on those hunts -- he went with a buddy who had a bird dog. Grouse are not to be found in Indiana much anymore.

In addition to having hunted since I was a kid, I've also trained dogs since I was 10 years old in 4-H. I've training competition obedience, agility, herding, flyball, therapy dogs, and disc dogs. We recently got a Golden Retriever puppy (now 10 weeks old) which I plan on training for upland game. (I researched bloodlines and got one from field trial parents.)

Our son lives in central Washington, and says there are a lot of chucker and quail out there. More incentive to visit him!1722903337077.png

Last edited:
Although my husband and I have been hunting together for nearly 40 years, we just discovered bird hunting last year. We both just recently retired. Our first hunt was guided and on a preserve, since pheasant aren't very plentiful around here. I remember my dad going bird hunting and usually coming home with a number of quail and grouse, and sometimes a pheasant, but he didn't take us kids on those hunts -- he went with a buddy who had a bird dog. Grouse are not to be found in Indiana much anymore.

In addition to having hunted since I was a kid, I've also trained dogs since I was 10 years old in 4-H. I've training competition obedience, agility, herding, flyball, therapy dogs, and disc dogs. We recently got a Golden Retriever puppy (now 10 weeks old) which I plan on training for upland game. (I researched bloodlines and got one from field trial parents.)

Our son lives in central Washington, and says there are a lot of chucker a quail out there. More incentive to visit him!View attachment 8466
Those wild chukars will be nothing like the game farm birds. You have to be half mountain goat to hunt wild chukars. They run uphill and then fly back downhill when you catch up to them
Buy a call to help locate them
We tried to drive toward the top of the hill and
then side hill
Good luck on your hunts

welcome to the madness! I've also hunted with field Goldens for many years. What kennel did you get yours from?

welcome to the madness! I've also hunted with field Goldens for many years. What kennel did you get yours from?
We went with Great Golden Breeding in Kentucky. It was recommended to me by a trial duck person -- who uses her Goldens for all sorts of sports. Her Goldens do obedience, agility, tracking, and waterfowl -- all three of her dogs do all these sports. She knew what I was looking for.

Best of luck hunting with your new golden!

I am in southeast Washington. For upland birds there are also pheasants, 3 species of grouse and huns in addition to the China's and quail you mentioned. Though none are in the same population density as some other states.

I am in southeast Washington. For upland birds there are also pheasants, 3 species of grouse and huns in addition to the China's and quail you mentioned. Though none are in the same population density as some other states.
When I was stationed at Ft Lewis, yes, it will always to Ft Lewis to me and not the Joint base bla bla bla... LOL... I had never seen or shot so many coyotes as I did out in eastern Washington.

Back