Hunting Boots

Another vote for Meindl hiking boots here. Don't let the "hiking" boot style fool you into thinking they aren't hunting boots. I probably have over 200 miles on my boots since I've had them for a few years and they are my go to boot for everything.

Rocky Cornstalkers for this guy. They are more of an all-purpose hunting boot instead of just being dedicated for one hunting season. I use them for pheasants, deer, and turkey hunting in the spring. They have 500 grams of insulation and are obviously waterproof with gore-tex. I don't do any early season pheasant hunting when its warm out so its pretty much just dedicated to cool or colder temps. I will admit that they are not great in bitter cold temps though.

Its my second pair in 23 years. I had the first pair for 18 years. They finally wore out and started taking on water. I tried a different brand - Redhead Comfort Aires from Bass Pro. They were really nice for one year and the second season they started leaking so I dumped them and went back to Rocky. 5th year on those now.

Another vote for Meindl hiking boots here. Don't let the "hiking" boot style fool you into thinking they aren't hunting boots. I probably have over 200 miles on my boots since I've had them for a few years and they are my go to boot for everything.
I see a lot of poeple on other boards wear only hiking boots. Their first stop when looking for hunting footwear is REI.

I see a lot of poeple on other boards wear only hiking boots. Their first stop when looking for hunting footwear is REI.
Yeah I actually got into wearing hiking boots for hunting based off of what Steve Rinella has said on his podcast. He uses hiking boots and that guy has hiked more miles and up more mountains than any of us here easily, so I took his advice and have been happy. Of course he's using boots that cost half a mortgage payment 🤣 but my Meindls have done me well. I even wear them in January with a heavy pair of socks and it's all I need for cold weather.

I have a pair of Irish Setters also that I never wear. They come with me on a trip but I like a shorter boot for walking all day.

Anybody wearing Thorogood boots? I just ordered a pair of waterproof TG's for a work boot. My thinking was, if I liked them, I would order a non-safety toe pair for hunting.

I've done a ton of research on threads like these. The Gumleafs seem to pop up all the time on lots of different forums. I might have to look into a pair of those for busting cattails.

Danner pronghorn 400 gram thinsulate hands down get some bees wax snow seal at the farm store heat the boots with heat gun to open the pores in the leather don’t be afraid of some on the nylon seals that too do that about every other week and they really do well

came about this searchin the forums for a solid pair a while back and along with this recommendation for hunting boots, i went with some irish setter 807s and honestly have been impressed so far. 400g insulation, waterproof gore tex lining and good grip for a decent price, will probably make this my boot of choice going forward. would definitely recommend for anyone looking for a good upland pair

Another pronghorn guy here. I prefer the uninsulated boot myself, but comfort and support are top notch. As BuckEye mentioned, snoseal at the beginning/middle/end of season and they have been bullet proof.

BPATT11
My post may have come across the wrong way.
Who wants to look through 5 pages.
My vote --- Danner sharptails.
I seems to me that reading 5 pages of reviews and options on boots might be recommended reading if you are really wanting feedback.

Im torn on the Pronghorns. They are extremely comfortable for sure. Im on my 2nd pair that I bought new and they are shot after 2 years. I bought a pair off ebay for my 3rd pair, and theyve definitely been used. Luckily i got my first pairs for 100 bucks and i see theyre almost 300 now? Are the new models better quality? The stitching has completely failed on both pairs i bought new and they are FAR from waterproof. So unless theyve stepped up the quality, im looking for something different.

My experience has been, you get what you pay for. But I refuse to pay 400.00 for a pair of boots. I'm a boot guy, so I keep several pairs at a time. That's not hard to do if you retire a pair of your favorites when they start leaking but keep them for dry days. I'm also very hard on boots. I don't know why but I have a special gift for making boots leak. Bought a pair of pronghorns and they leaked the 1st day. Bought a pair of muck boots and the uppers were torn to shreds in a week. I also keep non-insulated, a pair of 200 gram, 400 gram and a pair of 1000 + for just in case I need them. Here's my current lineup.
Merrell M.O.A.B. vented for summer walking and hiking. Very comfortable very under rated. I wish Merrell made a taller boot.
3 pair Rocky outback's. 6" for bank fishing, newer 9" and well-worn pair for my get home bag. All leaked around the 2nd season. My favorite summer boots but still hot past 80 degrees.
1 pair Lacross 16 '' rubber, if I know I'll be crossing water.
2 pair Irish setter Terrains. Non insulated but warmer than the Outback's. Wore the first pair a few days, then ordered a 2nd pair. 1st pair made it 1.5 years. Just started leaking this year after hunting turkeys three straight days in the rain.
1 pair of Irish setter elk trackers uninsulated. Good boot but fit tight on me. More of a mountain boot. I wear them in the steep rocky hills squirrel hunting.
1 pair Rocky 200-gram sport utility. Pretty good boot but I don't think they make them now. 1 pair Irish setter Gunflints 200 gram. Not the most comfortable boot but very rugged long-lasting boot.
2 pair Meindl lightweight hunters 400 gram. Good boots 1 leaks 1 not yet.
1 pair Rocky Blizzard stalkers 1200 grams. Had them for years never worn.
Gees! I got more than I thought! Hope my wife doesn't read this!!

Anybody wearing Thorogood boots? I just ordered a pair of waterproof TG's for a work boot. My thinking was, if I liked them, I would order a non-safety toe pair for hunting.

I've done a ton of research on threads like these. The Gumleafs seem to pop up all the time on lots of different forums. I might have to look into a pair of those for busting cattails.
Not for hunting but they were my favorite work boot. I think a small step above Irish setters. I think you might be onto something though. I would try them if they made a hunting boot.

Shortly after I posted this question my boots arrived. They have been through two hunting seasons, and they are my everyday work boot as well. I keep them well oiled, and they have not leaked yet. If I didn't have two brand new pairs in the closet, I would seriously consider getting my first pair resoled....is that a word???

Last summer I picked up a pair of Gumleaf rubber boots. It was hard to spend that kind of money on something I couldn't try on, but the customer service before the sale was fantastic, and I was assured I could return them if I didn't like them. They are amazing! I wear them anytime the grass is wet. On and off like a dream and super comfortable on my feet.

I can honestly say I have a boot system that I love. Everyone's feet are different, but this system just flat out works for me. Now I have time to worry about other things, like how hit more birds than I miss!

Not for hunting but they were my favorite work boot. I think a small step above Irish setters. I think you might be onto something though. I would try them if they made a hunting boot.
These are what I wear, but in a composite toe. Even with the composite toe, I can say they are the most comfortable leather boot I have ever worn.

These are what I wear, but in a composite toe. Even with the composite toe, I can say they are the most comfortable leather boot I have ever worn.

Nice, That's about my limit on the price but with what I know about their work boots I'll try a pair next time.

If I didn't have a $300 per year boot allowance through work, I'm not sure I would be wearing them.

Crispi’s, on their 4th season. Most I’ve spent for upland boots but they are the best boot so far! I still wear my browning kangaroo leather moc- toes every once in a while during the early season.

Back