Hunting Blue Grouse

John

Hi I was wondering what the ethics are when hunting blue grouse? It is my understanding that people shoot them off of tree branches and that is considered okay. Is it okay to shoot them while they are sitting with a shotgun or are the guys that are doing this using a .22?

Ideally I would like to shoot them on the initial flush, but whenever I see them they fly up into a tree and just sit there, so if you don't get a shot off when they first flush, they aint flyin again... know what I mean?

I find it bad ethics to shoot them off the branch. What I do is; I line up on the bird like I'm shooting Trap, then I scream and make it fly. Then I shoot at the bird like a clay bird. Just a little more sport that way. Yes, I do miss them even then once in a while........Bob

Thanks for the reply. Funny thing, I agree with you and that's why I asked. I can't picture shooting them while they sit, but this summer i was hiking and a blue grouse flushed from nearly under foot straight up into the nearest tree. I yelled a couple times to see if I could move him, but he just sat there. Now I'm picturing me hucking rocks at a bird in a tree just so I can shoot him. Doesn't seem much more sporting than shooting it while it sits. I have heard of people around here shooting them with .22s and even archery.

blue grouse

Like most here i want to shoot my game on the wing! With that said if bird after bird flys in the tree and looks at me well ( deserving got nothing to do with it! ) the meat does not taste different? and the hound wants to have afew feathers in his/her mouth so ya one for the pot out of the tree is ok by me! Other wise scare them with the first barrel and kill them with the second when they fly ? I have missed many birds this way .

Back