Hunters Going on Point

BritChaser

Ever seen this? The dog freezes on point and so does the hunter. If it's quail, you're probably OK. If it's pheasant, it will likely have skedaddled by the time the hunter comes off point and closes to the dog.

I almost exclusively hunt pheasants and I often go on point. Assess the situation , plan a route to cut off a wild flush , maintain safety.

I have a friend who bird hunts way more then even us diehards. He says I am not 20 anymore I am not hustling up to a dog on point to get a shot. If the bird gets away oh well happy to have the dog point and hold. He adds I shoot birds I have to clean birds. Doesn't really cook so he is always giving cleaned birds away.

His ideal scenario is a few good bird contacts quality dog work ,with or without a retrieved bird.
I tease him that as bad as he shoots not getting to shoot ,and missing , keeps the game fun😉

Need to add every new hunter I bring out seems to freeze when the dog does. I have to explain the bird is almost always in front of the dog and I prefer you shoot in front of the dog so keep moving. Don't run but try to get even or in front of the dog.

This is why I hunt flushing dogs. I can't stand the stress of knowing a bird is likely right in front of that dog. I recently had a similar event happen with one of my labs. I saw the bird (pheasant), as it ducked into the grass. My dog was upwind so she didn't scent it until she came around below it. I knew it was going to flush and that was more than I could take, so I fluffed two shots at it. I prefer having the bird flush further out and more "randomly". If I owned a pointing dog I would have to hunt with a cardiologist at my elbow.

Need to add every new hunter I bring out seems to freeze when the dog does. I have to explain the bird is almost always in front of the dog and I prefer you shoot in front of the dog so keep moving. Don't run but try to get even or in front of the dog.

Excellent advice

I usually have to stop for a few seconds to figure out which way my dog is pointing. She'll freeze up but if her head is turned that's where the bird is. So depending on the situation I might be going to her side if her head is turned. Not always right in front. Depends on the wind direction of course

I try to keep moving and approach the point from the side. I think it helps the dogs to stay steady if they don't don't feel you coming up behind them.

However, some of my hunting buddies have a tendency to point when the dog points. And then hold it longer than is necessary for that internal "where might the bird be? how should I approach the point?" conversation. One has never owned pointing breed, so I'll cut him some slack. The other one should know better. It's worth noting that they don't normally establish point until they are within reasonable range.

I try to flank as well. I have shot just south of 90 wild roosters each of the past two seasons. Combine that with misses and hen flushes you would think that feeling of excitement would wane. Not a chance. I love when it clicks with a dog and they begin to recognize birdy cover. Willow and Ellie would range out to patches of brush, bushes, etc to check it out. I often let her because I didn't want to expend the energy walking to isolated cover. Some held birds and some didn't. Those that did, more often than not the birds held with the dogs damn near nose to nose with them with a Dogtra beeper going every 2-3 seconds until I could close up the distance. There were times the dogs were 200+ yards out. I always figured if they held it was a bonus and if they flushed out of nervousness I would have never walked over there anyway.

With that being said, I hunted behind some excellent golden's this fall and when they got birdy it was equally exciting when the chase begins.

What a past time!

I hate saying it annoys me but in some way it does. I hunt two GSP's and 90% of the time it's on public land, it's not like a southern plantation hunt where you have time to get off your horse or out of a horse drawn carriage only to walk up five minutes after the dog goes on point. Hard hunted roosters don't stick around long no matter what part of the season it is. Like Matto said, I always try to come into the dogs nose and have my partner about 10-15 yards away.

Back