Hunt Wounded Dogs

BritChaser

My last dog was wounded during a hunt and lost an eye - but not a single step or scent. I awarded him a Violet Heart.

Young Bert was given to charging through obstacles rather than over or around them.

Twice he split the skin/flesh over his breastbone, possibly going through the strands of a barbed wire fence. Both time were on a Sunday morning.

And, each time, it wasn't until we had taken a pause in the hunt and were b-s ing that I found the damage when I checked him over and saw the 3-4 inch split skin and the 1/2 inch deep gash.

Of course, the vet said that stitches were unnecessary because the wound would heal from the inside out, and I just had to keep it clean and disinfected.

Didn't appear to bother the dog at all, he DID object to being restricted while healing took place.

I did love that dog, but he wasn't quite right.

I had both my dogs wounded this year already. My 2 year old Brittany pursued a downed rooster through a barbed wire fence and got 6 stitches to her chest to prove that she got the bird.
My 6 year old English pointer blew out her rear knee and just had TPLO surgery on Thursday. My season has been rough so far but we’ve bagged a total of 48 roosters and have had much more pheasant contact then last year so on a positive note, both dogs are recovering well.

I agree... Probably wouldn’t bird hunt if I didn’t have dogs. One of my Chessie’s had a TPLO surgery and she couldn’t hunt that season. A friend invited me to go for a day trip so I went thinking it was going to be fun to get out there. It wasn’t nearly the same watching someone else’s dog work.

My English pointer had TPLO surgery last year and had to sit last season out. She blew it out the weekend before the opener while we were doing some refresher training.
The vet told us within 1-2 years the other leg would most likely blow out.
On Friday the 13th this season walking out of our last field of the day I see her holding her leg up. Straight to the vet we went to have X-rays done and it was confirmed.
She’s 6 years old and absolutely lives to hunt, unfortunately now I think she’s going to be a 1 field a day kinda girl.
You guys are absolutely correct about the dogs are what pheasant hunting is all about. My heart was broken both times I heard she needed surgery.
She just did her morning stretches and so far is looking very good.

Good luck with her rehabilitation. Don’t give up on her; same thing happened to my Chessie. Within a year the other knee blew and had to have the surgery. After she recovered from both TPLO’s she never had a problem again. She lived and hunted hard for 8 years after the surgeries. Definitely not a one field dog. Good luck!

Chessie; I haven’t given up on her. I’d absolutely love if she continued hunting the way she does today, but I’d also be just as happy to get her to hunt with me a field a day for the rest of her life. She’s my best friend and Im just happy she’s not fully retired. She still has a lot of birds to be shot over her.

Depends on the injury. Applying EMT Gel and supergluing gashes shut then hunting on are standard fare for the Wrecking Crew. Last year Harley got a face full of porkie quills while hunting a hot field and was damned mad when I brought him in & pulled them out with the Gerber Dime multi-tool which I keep in every hunting vest I have. None near the eyes or in the mouth so it was FIDO (F*** it, Drive On)...

One of the advantages of having several dogs is I can leave anyone on Injured Reserve home to recover and still hunt effectively. By mid season it's not terribly unusual to have one or two staying home for a few days and being very unhappy about it...

That is the best reason I have heard for having more than one hunting dog. My old GSP is needing to go part-time early this season. He is seeming to be getting in better condition (as is his owner) as the season progresses. I need to rely on my buddy and his GSP on days when my dog is on IR. I am hoping he has a fatal heart attack in the field when he goes (as I wish for myself) as he just won't slow down, and it would be a tough final drive to the vet if it comes to that.

That is the best reason I have heard for having more than one hunting dog. My old GSP is needing to go part-time early this season. He is seeming to be getting in better condition (as is his owner) as the season progresses. I need to rely on my buddy and his GSP on days when my dog is on IR. I am hoping he has a fatal heart attack in the field when he goes (as I wish for myself) as he just won't slow down, and it would be a tough final drive to the vet if it comes to that.
It is the worst final drive, I've had to do it several times. My kennel queen Betty will be 15 in a few months and I had no choice but to finally medically retire her this season. She still has the drive, so she got a couple "old dog" hunts in my food plot and gets some blinds with dead birds when we come home from a hunt. She's an amazingly resilient gun dog, but that drive is coming...

Back