Huns

petrey10

So we got some great pheasant habitat. Consistently killing wild birds. 320 acres so a big piece.

I'm really wanting to see some other type of game use the property as there's food water and cover all there.

My question:

Has anyone successfully added Huns to their property ? Granted I know it will take hundreds of birds but honestly this property will be there for a long time. I'll commit the $$ if I could be successful over a few year period.

Quail seem fragile and not best suited for this type of cover like big switchgrass. Chukar not really in this type of cover either
Huns seem to act similar in ways to a pheasant as they like to run. But they covet like quail. But stronger than quail. Bigger. Eat bigger seeds. Are in Minnesota, sd... etc... so can handle the winters. Will use tree lines etc.

Location is east central illlinois.

All the huns I have ever run into have been in wheat or oat fields or close by to them. Never run into them in corn and beans areas like East Central IL. But I sure would love to kick some up again.

Haven't kicked up a covey of huns for over a decade.

All the huns I've seen or seen shot came outta or near corn stubble soy beans close I've seen em in western & SE & NW MN north Iowa also ...

PS all the places I've seen huns Bob white quail once lived I seen both huns & Bob whites in se MN ruffed grouse same area... Quail love creek's... Huns use vast open farmlands well & more short grass prairie pasture lands cattle are also a common occurrence wear I see. Huns they need a certain kind of soil more rocky type soil I been told

Back