Huns in Colorado?

Quick question, does anyone know why there aren't huns in Colorado? It seems to me like we have the right kind of habitat at least in some places. Unless maybe we do have them and i am not aware?

No wild ones that I am aware of... Saw one once on the on ramp to I-70 in Byers but I am sure he was an escapee from a pet and shoot. I know they are in Wyoming...

Quick question, does anyone know why there aren't huns in Colorado? It seems to me like we have the right kind of habitat at least in some places. Unless maybe we do have them and i am not aware?

They did at one time! there might be a few out there. There are scattered populations, few in odd places like upstate New York, a few in Iowa, Northeast Wisconsin, a few in Missouri even. They cycle up and down. They like great expanses of grain fields and thin pastures. Look close to the Wyoming border, either side of the interstate to Cheyenne. With the current thought on species and adaptation, I would say that since we are hell bent on "native species", chances are that there is no sentiment for stocking or re-introduction. Where they are, they are more or less on their own. More less ignored, I am sorry to say. But a good pops. all along the Canadian border, prairie provinces, Montana, North Dakota, Idaho, E. Washington, E. Oregon, and down into N. Nevada. I like them, like quail, but bigger, and more chicanery!

North Dakota would be your best bet....buddy went up there a couple of years ago to hunt roosters and he shot a few of them and saw coveys/groups of them.

Greg

south Dakota yes. probably north Dakota as well. The Canadian prairie provinces are supposed to be good for Huns, and the Canadian woods full of ruffs

They did at one time! there might be a few out there. There are scattered populations, few in odd places like upstate New York, a few in Iowa, Northeast Wisconsin, a few in Missouri even. They cycle up and down. They like great expanses of grain fields and thin pastures. Look close to the Wyoming border, either side of the interstate to Cheyenne. With the current thought on species and adaptation, I would say that since we are hell bent on "native species", chances are that there is no sentiment for stocking or re-introduction. Where they are, they are more or less on their own. More less ignored, I am sorry to say. But a good pops. all along the Canadian border, prairie provinces, Montana, North Dakota, Idaho, E. Washington, E. Oregon, and down into N. Nevada. I like them, like quail, but bigger, and more chicanery!

So they probably could live here, but they don't because we don't really encourage populations. Is there a hope for the future of huns in Colorado do you think? Or would it be better if they were left alone?

So they probably could live here, but they don't because we don't really encourage populations. Is there a hope for the future of huns in Colorado do you think? Or would it be better if they were left alone?

I don't think we know exactly what a stabile population requires. We are still learning with pheasants, a bird that we have studied for years! We lost Sage Grouse, Sharptails, in eastern Colorado. The scaled quail is hanging on. There a couple of drainages like the Gunnison with Chukars. But none of these birds expand their range very much, though they seem stabile where they are. It takes a lot of money to make the effort. Here is the weird part, I have found Huns at the snow line, migrated down into valleys in midwinter, I found them in fields where you could not believe anything lived there but grain stubble and a pair of sparrows. But a farmer said they were there, and they were, and liked it! Huns really like derelict machinery with a little grass around, old homesteads grown up. If you can flush them twice, they will gravitate back to where you found them. Lot's of times you can set you watch by their habits, but a year comes seems the same as other years, and this reliable cover you have discovered will become vacant. But the populations seems unchanged every where else. A year later you have to fight them of with sticks when you go there. Weird, funny habits, great eater, dogs love them.

I don't think we know exactly what a stabile population requires. We are still learning with pheasants, a bird that we have studied for years! We lost Sage Grouse, Sharptails, in eastern Colorado. The scaled quail is hanging on. There a couple of drainages like the Gunnison with Chukars.....Lot's of times you can set you watch by their habits, but a year comes seems the same as other years, and this reliable cover you have discovered will become vacant. But the populations seems unchanged every where else. A year later you have to fight them of with sticks when you go there. Weird, funny habits, great eater, dogs love them.

I didn't realize they were such mysterious birds. But, like you did mention studying, i suppose all animals are pretty mysterious until you study them. I'd like to know more about them and what it takes to keep a consistent population, if possible. Are they semi-migratory, perhaps?

Back