Hullo from New Zealand

Tori,

Welcome!! New Zealand is on my list of destinations-never knew there was upland hunting available. Hope to get there some day.

Ed

Hi Ed I hope you are able to get over here one day...your birds especially intrigue me...those grouse!!!! wonderful...

Tori, Quick couple of questions what are some of the more popular sporting dogs for hunting in NZ? Are there any NZ related websites devoted to hunting? I am very interested in other hunting cultures and Are hunter a majority over in NZ?

Hullo Bamadrath...of the gundog breeds the commonest used for birds and deer are the Labrador, GSP, GWP, Viszla (who is enjoying popularity at the moment with the deer hunters especially) and of the flushers/spaniels the E Springer Spaniel...it is very exciting for the GWP world as the real Deutsch Drahthaar has landed, so to speak. A trialist has had great success with her Chessie's in retriever trials. We have the Irish Water Spaniel, Spinone etc...like the EB while the numbers are not great, the passion of the people fo these different breeds is amazing. Irish, English and Gordon Setters also feature in the gamebird world and are successful in the trials. There are also those who are committed to the English Pointer...

this is the group we buy licences etc through...

http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/

the parent body of the trial world

http://www.nzgta.co.nz/new-zealand-gundog-trial-association/home/

I will see what else I can send you...:)

In May of 2012 I had the pleasure of having a holiday with friends in the state of Victoria, Australia...Epagneul Breton people and it was wonderful being out on the stubble after the 'stubble' quail...fantastic little birds for the dog, gun and dinner table...

Over there they have the Chital deer which were introduced here but never did well...probably too wet for them!

Hello Everyone, I am back!! Today is the last day of our gamebird season ... it has been a sketchy season in my province; even the duck guys were a little despondent about Opening Day !!! This is Tom, sired by my male, who with his master, travelled to the South Island to hunt chukor and quail ... instead they were held up for some days on account of some heavy snow falls ... this is Lake Tekapo that Tom is running by ...

View attachment 7358

Back