How's the wheat?

Crossing shot

Lots of rain during 2015/2016 season, then a short dry spell. Last season was very hot and dry and dry since. Wondering how the wheat is faring? The long range forecast looks good for rain.

Wheat is not good! Dry as hell but there is a little mist on the window as I speak. And the wind has been horrible through the whole month of March. On a bright side, I have roosters in the yard every morning but we will need some helpful timely rain! Lots of CRP being tilled under the last couple of weeks.

The wheat around Dodge is a mixed lot. The wheat that was planted in moisture has come on very well since the ice storm moisture. There is some that didn't go into moisture when planted and some of that didn'e emerge in the fall. I can take you to awesome fields and some that are mostly brown ground with some green spots. A little light precip moving through the area now.

Farmers who planted early here are worried that because the wheat is taller than usual a couple of hours with temps in the mid 20s will destroy it. It might look good but is very vulnerable.

Back