How's MI's Pheasant Project Going?

1pheas4

Anyone hear any news as to how Michigan's pheasant projects are going? Last I heard it was a 10 year plan but haven't heard much as progress goes.

Just wondering. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick

Overall, it has been very positive. And while we will likely never see "the good ole days" again, we are seeing a renewed focus on phz habitat on some state land as well as the formation of at least one private coop that I'm aware of. A non existent winter and a favorable nesting season didn't hurt either. If only they had antlers......

It sounds good and looks good but it is a work in progress, just not enough acreage together to make a big difference. Spent 2 days hunting a area never dirtied my barrels, a buddy did get a young bird. Phez hunting was way better in the 90s and I don't see it ever getting that good again with all the crops we have now.:(

I live in southwest MI and have not shot a wild pheasant in this great state since 1997 or 98. I'm lucky to even see one dead on the rd. I don't even try to find spots to hunt them around here anymore, spent a few days knocking on doors and just got turned down years ago. I would love to get my dog on a wild pheasant this year I don't even need to carry a gun along although I would like to have someone shoot the bird. I would trade a pheasant hunt for a grouse hunt if anyone is interested. I live pretty close to Indiana and would be willing to drive 2 or 3 hours to meet up with a fellow hunter I will buy breakfast too. I know MI has a late pheasant season but I have never went east to try it out. I'm not sure on the In season.

Slow progress but it's something in the right direction.

I live in southwest MI and have not shot a wild pheasant in this great state since 1997 or 98. I'm lucky to even see one dead on the rd.

You have some lands up there. Find some good looking cover and give it a try. You may be surprised. Our pheasants are seldom seem crossing roads too yet there are birds out there.

Nick

i live across the rd from roughly 4500 acres of state land in the lower peninsula. last week they put up half a dozen signs in some of the parking lots touting the MPRI and thanking hunters for their support. i mean really nice semi-permenent signs.

i have yet to see any change in the habitat. that is with the exception of a 100'ish acre fallow field that was put into corn production last spring. nice signs though... :confused:

Stopped into a few State Game Areas around Cass City to see what we could find. Was hoping to at least flush a few hens but didn't see one bird all day. I did see some good cover and it looks like an effort has been put in to manage the land for pheasants. I did see a few other pheasant hunters but never heard any shooting all day. I talked to some people at a gas station and they told me they see birds all the time so that was good to hear.

Back