How's everyone doing?

Early season was GOOD! Giving my pup (and my feet) a rest for awhile. Looking forward to late season hunting with snow on the ground and smart birds with full plumage.
The Magic of Flight

Early season was GOOD! Giving my pup (and my feet) a rest for awhile. Looking forward to late season hunting with snow on the ground and smart birds with full plumage.
The Magic of Flight
I'm more of a late season hunter as well.I sort of dable in October. All this nice weather has been beautiful.

I lead a hunt with the Montana Wounded Warriors on pheasant season opening weekend. Where we hunted the bird numbers were way down compared to last year (last year was the most birds I've ever seen) 6 of us did limit out both Saturday and Sunday, Monday only saw us get 2 birds. All but 2 birds were smart old birds. I think there was a late hatch and a lot of the roosters were still looking like hens.

I lead a hunt with the Montana Wounded Warriors on pheasant season opening weekend. Where we hunted the bird numbers were way down compared to last year (last year was the most birds I've ever seen) 6 of us did limit out both Saturday and Sunday, Monday only saw us get 2 birds. All but 2 birds were smart old birds. I think there was a late hatch and a lot of the roosters were still looking like hens.
Late hatch for sure. I hope for a mild winter!!

I am wintering in near Ronan, MT...flew down in Nov. from Alaska.
I would describe it as trophy rooster hunting...no gang flushes
However I see more roosters than hens in most of my local spot.
I usually flush 3 roosters in a morning hunt and get a shot at 1 of 3 flushes.

I hunt every week day morning (retired and living the dream).
This was a rare double for me, all my other hunts have been single roosters killed.
Since I hunt solo and silently, I'm usually in a blocking position and shots are fairly close.
IMG_0014.JPG

Welcome skeeter.
I hope you enjoy your (hunting) vacation. Do you only have one dog now?

Last edited:
I am wintering in near Ronan, MT...flew down in Nov. from Alaska.
I would describe it as trophy rooster hunting...no gang flushes
However I see more roosters than hens in most of my local spot.
I usually flush 3 roosters in a morning hunt and get a shot at 1 of 3 flushes.

I hunt every week day morning (retired and living the dream).
This was a rare double for me, all my other hunts have been single roosters killed.
Since I hunt solo and silently, I'm usually in a blocking position and shots are fairly close.
View attachment 2580
You must be driving a long ways from Ronan!!

Back