Hows everyone been doing?

cyclonenation10

Just checking in to see how everyone has been doing on the roosters this year.

I've been hunting in North Central Iowa around Ames. I've shot 42 birds this year split almost 50/50 between public and private ground. Been putting in about 2 hours per bird on public ground and about 45 min per bird on private ground. Numbers definitely seem to be down on both public and private ground from what I can tell, but I also hunted more later in the year last year than earlier, so could be the birds were more bunched up last year, hence the higher numbers.

Hunting has gotten significantly tougher over the last couple of weeks on both private and public ground. Seems like the birds are really scattered this year and staying away form the areas they have been pressured on.

What has everyone else been seeing?

Similar success for my buddy and me. IIRC, we've bagged 57 so far with another trip planned tomorrow. Like you, we're finding the birds spread out and often pretty hunter wise. We are killing nearly all roosters within range, supporting our bagged number. Very few misses so far, which is normal for my buddy, a bit less so for me. Riding Lady Luck ...

Went this weekend. Able to find a couple roosters per WMA but it takes a lot of boot time. I either run out of steam or time to get my limit. Ditch hunting has been a struggle for me this year. Looking forward to getting back with some snow on the ground.

I live in runnells,,,its been real slow around here. if you belive this I had 0 luck on my private grounds this year and very little luck around runnells area. I have only shot about 20 birds this year all came from the ogden and Jefferson area. also in a one day hunt this year I have not been able to get a daily bag limit anywere. I have seen more bird hunters this year and far fewer birds this year. working waaaay to hard for birds this year.

We hunted ten days ago in the southwest-southcentral area of the State, all on public land. Five of us killed 5 pheasants and about the same number of quail over two and a half days of hard walking. We had a couple of good dogs, but none in really great shape. However, we really didn't see that many birds, and never saw a bird fly across a road, or out looking for gravel in the mornings or late afternoons. Still, it was beautiful country and I'd do it again, but with pretty low expectations for bird numbers. We picked the area for the low number of other hunters, having hunted public land in northern South Dakota, or southern South Dakota the past ten years or so. We got lower numbers of hunters as expected, but along with that we gave up some bird numbers. It was a fair trade, in my opinion. And we met nice people everywhere we went, as we do in most places we go to.

We hunted ten days ago in the southwest-southcentral area of the State, all on public land. Five of us killed 5 pheasants and about the same number of quail over two and a half days of hard walking. We had a couple of good dogs, but none in really great shape. However, we really didn't see that many birds, and never saw a bird fly across a road, or out looking for gravel in the mornings or late afternoons. Still, it was beautiful country and I'd do it again, but with pretty low expectations for bird numbers. We picked the area for the low number of other hunters, having hunted public land in northern South Dakota, or southern North Dakota the past ten years or so. We got lower numbers of hunters as expected, but along with that we gave up some bird numbers. It was a fair trade, in my opinion. And we met nice people everywhere we went, as we do in most places we go to.

I hunted quail down by creston 2 weeks ago I moved one covey in 4 hours of walking,,,i didn't take any as I just didn't want to destroy the covey. if I would have moved more covey's, I would have taken some.

Just checking in to see how everyone has been doing on the roosters this year.

I've been hunting in North Central Iowa around Ames. I've shot 42 birds this year split almost 50/50 between public and private ground. Been putting in about 2 hours per bird on public ground and about 45 min per bird on private ground. Numbers definitely seem to be down on both public and private ground from what I can tell, but I also hunted more later in the year last year than earlier, so could be the birds were more bunched up last year, hence the higher numbers.

Hunting has gotten significantly tougher over the last couple of weeks on both private and public ground. Seems like the birds are really scattered this year and staying away form the areas they have been pressured on.

What has everyone else been seeing?

I like the "hours per bird" measurement. Like you, I think I would put the same 2ish hours of actual walk time per bird this season. My typical day has been around 8-10 miles of walking. Numbers certainly aren't up this season... but they can be found with a little time, patience and energy (and a doggie or two :) ).

A great morning....

One of those "special" moments yesterday morning....I took my "old" dog- 10 yr old GSP- my buddy and I had only an hour or so to hunt. About 100 yds into the field...flushed a rooster, and made the shot. Another 100 yds...a quick point...and a rooster got up right under my feet....I was wearing gloves for the first time this year....and couldn't get the safety off!!! Went another 80 yds...another point...and another rooster...Gus made a nice retrieve, but going through a 5 stand barb wire fence out and back! Maybe another 60 yds...Gus started the "point and stalk"...and another rooster! I dropped him in the harvested bean field...just like the last one, and Gus was through the fence again. As I took the bird from him...I noticed a long, clean gash along the top of his head!!

I looked at my watch...8:19 am!! I started back to the truck, trying to stay out of my buddy's way...and Gus pointed two more roosters on the way back!! I got back to the truck, and was going to load him up...and darned if he didn't take another little 35yd run down into the field, and flushed the last rooster!!

My buddy..hunting in the same field...only flushed hens...a good number, though!

After getting home....a trip to the Vet...anesthesia and 11 stitches!!! That made the morning's birds a LOT more expensive...but worth every penny; you never know when a old dog's hunt could be his last!

Good luck, everyone!

4 trips for 4 limits and in 209 Main for lunch. Finding great numbers of birds on private and my setter has been on fire lately. Thanksgiving weekend was a bust but for some reason it always is....

I have been out a few times been extremely busy...a couple times the birds was flying way ahead of me was walking ditches...this weekend I went out and walked some tall crp fields I shouldn't have done it...got a rooster up made good shot on him he came down I seen right where he came down at I walked all over looking for a downed bird could not find him was kind of bummed would have been my 2nd one ever shot...no I do not have a dog I'm on my own that's why I stick to ditches

Hunt all public, mostly in the Benton county and surrounding area. Really has been very dependent on where I am, hit and miss. With the exception of a few areas that I pretty well know are going to be busts (just close enough to the house for short hunts/exercise and who knows, might get lucky) I have been able to get birds up. Hunting young dogs so, being somewhat choosy on what shots I take (doesn't seem to help my shooting too much though), I usually get a decent shot on a bird every few hours of walking sometimes better. Hit some good looking areas couple weeks ago (including some beautiful looking IHAP) and could have limited before lunch with better shooting all on good points (sorry pups). Been several hunts where limits could be had on wild or bumped birds, (maybe I should revisit my shooting policy) seems I mostly get out for short hunts before or after work when here in Iowa. It has been enough to keep me interested while I'm around, seems on my days off I end up elsewhere. Did have one hunt in NC IA, airing the dogs before dark on a road trip to Montana killed one and had a jam on the double attempt and passed on a pretty close wild flush all in an hour or so with a few hen/runner points spread throughout probably saw 10-15 in a field that just looked ok, just pulled over and put the dogs down, never been there before. Got some days off unexpectedly the next few days, itching for maybe a SD trip, maybe hit an area or two on the way across the state. Hope everybody's season is treating them well.

I wasn't believing the DNR roadside counts indicating a decline here in SC Iowa over the summer since the conditions were so good, but everyday that I walk I am starting to think they may not have calculated enough of a decline in the numbers. We (2 guys) are averaging a rooster (this would be a as in 1) every 6.7 miles(2x6.7=13.4??). We may try walking 6 miles to our hunting spots to increase our chances. :)

I'm south central iowa also,,, runnells area not good at all around here. went out today and nothing not one single point. all the birds ive shot this year have been around north central iowa. this includes private land it hasn't been much better. with all the habitat loss over the years and 5 years of harsh weather,,,im thinking this may be the new normal. I hope I'm wrong.

Spent ~3 days over this past weekend up in NW/NC IA. Initially was heading to SD but on the way decided to make a trip out of public land Northern IA. First evening got out at ~0230 Hardin Co., wind was blowing with a few snow flurries hunting patch of CRP with nice little belt of cedars in middle, birds were wild not sitting for point older dog and 1.5 yr old had one pinned pretty good but by the time I reached them the rooster circled to the road ditch and got up behind me, just saw him as he was out of range. Followed the shelter belt on down and had a miss on a wild flush. Put the pup on the ground and she worked a bird, pointing and relocating, for about 75 yd. He got up a little ahead but, not seeing me, circled right back in range. Circling back to the truck saw a bird get up that looked a little crippled so marked him and circled the pup downwind to a nice point, shot and retrieve. Next day, cold morning, started with a few spots in Clay Co. focusing on the cattails and cut corn with little success, three spots all before noon with no points and one miss on a wild flush. Moved on east to Emmet Co. put the oldest dog down and started into an area of crp/cattails around small ponds bordering crop ground. About 5 min had a point on the edge of some cattails. Got up there and the dog released and started forward and bumped up first bird first shot missed, second down. As I headed to down bird second got up out of cattails and dropped him. Day ended with probably best point of the day by 1.5 yr old as I was headed out and about 10 minutes after shooting hours, bummer. Saturday morning in Kossuth , cold with snow starting to blow, tried dodging deer hunters to not impede on anyone's shotgun season. Found a little marshy spot that produced some good hen points and one wild rooster who almost swung into range. Moved south to a nice area of cattails nestled in some crp and draws, snow really starting to come down, birds wild with the exception of a couple hens, two roosters bumped in the cattails within range one missed one down. Probably saw ~15 birds, 3-4 roosters. Went east to an area I had hit in the past, snow had the grass laid over and the hens were holding up underneath. Worked a few good hen points then a rooster gets up under my feet, knock him down send the 1.5 yr old for the retrieve and the pup comes from downwind and hits point for a second when rooster 2 gets up and I wing him. Pup does a good tracking job and delivers the bird pretty well, done at about 2:00.

Last morning Winnebago Co. ~5 in of powder on the ground head into a marshy draw, shrubs and cattails, within three minutes rooster gets up wild or bumped and ~5 hens altogether come out. Hit another little cattail patch with no success. Move south to an area of similar cover see 1 rooster and have a few hen points ~10 birds seen. Drive on to Hancock Co. and hit an area of crp with some standing corn around 11:30. All three dogs down, pup hits point about 50 yds in, hen gets out of snow laden grass. Continue hunting grass patches all 3 dogs hitting hen points (~5) then successive rooster points by oldest dog and pup first goes down second goes free on a little unsteady backing and my worst shooting of the trip. Continue skirting the corn in grass patches and get about 8-10 more points on hens and oldest dog bumps up another rooster in range. End around 2:00 with 2 and a bad miss that should have been 3. First time I have ever had to reach down and pick up a wild hen and toss her to keep the dogs from getting her.

Back