Howdy

Navy_Jen

Hey there,
I am a brand new hunter, meaning I have never been but am getting as much training and research as I can. I am interested in all kinds of bird hunting especially upland game. I live in North central Colorado, and would be interested in talking with or even accompanying experienced hunters that might be interested in being a hunting mentor to me. I am open to as much tips and advice as I can get.

Cheers!
Jen

Jen, The first thing I would do is go find and take your State Hunter Education Course. I know at your age you may feel you don't need it. But they will teach you the do's and don'ts of hunting. The first rule of hunting is always be Safe and they will teach you all aspects of that. WEelcome to UPH, come by often and you learn what us hunters are talking about. If you have a question ask, we will answer.........Bob

congradulations on joining the fraternity of hunters it takes alot of courage for a female to enter into a traditionally mans sport but you will be fine and welcome to the site feel free to ask anyone of the peaple on here anything and if we dont have the answer the next guy will

Thanks guys. I am in the middle of my Hunter Education course as of today, by Saturday afternoon I should be legal. Although I have a little firearms experience and will have the ability to purchase a license, I still have SO many questions about actual hunting processes and skills that I need to learn. Is it ok to ask questions via post?

you can ask questions on here however you want but if you have a specific person you want to talk to then its better to send a personal message

Welcome Coloradoan

Welcome to the site! Post your questions and you will receive plenty of answers, all with at least a grain of wisdom from experience. Just browsing through previous posts in the various fora and categories may answer some questions for you about shooting, guns, shells, chokes, gear, dogs, and where to hunt. Good bird hunting is straight east of you in NE CO, NW KS, and SW NE.

hi Jen- don't suppose you ski the mountains a bit

drop down and take a look at the Main Bird dog Forum
"lets see your dogs" to see what some of us go behind- it's not all about killing birds "a good time and good companions is what it's all about"

some of us aren't real far from you

do you have a shotgun

I don't have a shotgun yet... Back home in OK are my father and grandfathers shotguns, but I am not sure how well suited they are for the sport. ! may be too small and the other too big (forme and or the game). I don't ski but I do snowbaord, not very well but well enough to enjoy it. I am in the Longmont area.

maybe a trip home- you never know about one of those guns- might fit you- maybe a little stock work- but be worth a try- besides- a grandfather gun would be nice to use

there really isn't a wrong shotgun to use on uplands- meaning there are all sizes from 410- 12 guage and many different styles right here on this fourm

jen-

you might try a skeet range where they have "loaner guns" to get a feel for what might fit you the best. maybe even an instructor for one session to understand the mechanics and choices of shotguns available.

Welcome Jen, Glad to see a few more from Colo. on here! Everyone will sure help if they can, great bunch on here!!!:cheers:

Welcome to the site:thumbsup:

Yeah I think a trip home is in order, I am going to try to get home before Thanksgiving but things are busy with work and school so who knows... I think I will leave the 12ga and bring back the .410 if Granny will let me ;)

That's a great idea Hunter94, I want the shotgun I buy to be one that will suit me for a very long time, would hate to get stuck with something that didn't fit!

there's a Cabela's in NE- you might want to go there and handle a few of the shotguns

Welcome Jen to uph. Shadow's, I think refering to cabela's in Sidney,NE. It's not just a cabela's, Its The Cabela's. You should have no problems finding a shotgun that fits you at that Cabela's, or any outdoor need you have for that matter. Good luck and let us all now how it goes.:)

ahh well said jmac- the one in KC has a lot of shotguns in the used rack
plus- they have an archery range- and some very knowlegable folks there-
I like to try out the bows- sometimes I bring in my Browning Afterburner and Fred Bear recurve and pretend to want to try out some of the new and better head to with my old and trusted to maybe buy a better one- course it's nice to view the mount I gave them

heck- Jen can go to the one close- spend the day- talk with the folks- watch some good videos- but carefull of opening your wallet-

ahh should sign up for the Cabela's CC and get a free gift

course then Jen is going to say- I'm going to be driving thru western Kansas arround Thanksgiving- any birds arround where I can get out and see- and then by golly- someone would have to invite

Jen go to walmart and pick up a 12 ga. remington 870 wingmaster and shoot the heck out it. No sense in buyin an expensive shotgun not knowing if you like the sport or what you might want in a gun down the road. Ill bet plenty of the guys on this board still shoot an 870, Good gun and inexpensive

Back