How was the hatch?

Road Runner

Just wondering if anyone is seeing any birds this year. Huns, Quail, Pheasants: Last year was the best I have seen as far as Hun numbers go, but the quail were way down, pheasants were fair.

not sure

not sure on the hatch. Cold, wet spring. This spring Jack and me kicked up a ton of birds around Poky during a little early spring training. Lots of Huns and Chuckers. When things heated up we couldn't find them. After the fire we got back into them for a week or two, but then we lost them again.

Thanks for the the info. I was beginning to think that the state of Idaho had lost all internet connection.:) I cannot wait for the seasons to start. I have a new pup and she has a lot to learn. It should be fun.

i have seen quite a few phez earlyer this year, same with huns, as the weather heated up i have seen them less so i couldnt tell you, the farmers i talked to have seen less this year than last. I will be useing my dog on saturday for the Fish and Game youth hunt at the Sterling WMA and i will ask them if they have any info.

Did not hit Idaho on Saturday because the chukar hunting in Utah was too good this week. Moved some rather hugh coveys but my shooting left much to be desired. I need some cool temps so the dogs can run longer. My 6 year old lab came up lame she is limping on her right front leg. I am going to shut it down until she gets feeling better. I hope she recovers fast. I also ran into a rattler. BE careful out there with the mutts!!!

My girl came up limping just after a nice swim. Her temperature should have been ok. I hope it is something minor. I will be watching her to make sure we don't need a trip to the vet. Those are some nice looking sharpies :coolpics:

Last edited:
Fish and game told me the hatch was about the same as last year but the second hatch was late and there are alot of small birds. My son shot his first wild rooster today and it had a big body but about a 10in tail

Finally made it up to Idaho today. One of my best hun spots from last year was a big fat 0. They cover was in the best shape I have ever seen, but it looks like the birds did not make it through the winter. I hope I just missed them today but it is not looking good so far.

At least the temps cooled off enough to get the dogs a good run in.

Eek.

Congrats to your son on his first wild rooster.:10sign: I still remember mine. Wow, I didn't know then, how addicted I would become to pheasant hunting.

Thanks for the report on the hatch.

Se id

I talked with a farmer in SE Idaho the other day and he said they had more birds(pheasant) this year compared to last year. He claimed it was due to lower numbers of hawks this year, so the chick survival was much better. That was his theory anyway. I do recall a TON of hawks last fall.

I kind of expected to hear of lower numbers due to the winter and wet spring in the area we hunt. Last year by Thanksgiving the snow was deep and drifting, and it only got worse.

I may do a scouting run this weekend. Will report if I do.

JPH

Would be very interested to see what you find. Thanks for the info from the farmer. I was around Raft River yesterday on public ground no birds at all no huns no pheasants. RR

Put on some serious miles yesterday. Cover looks great in places. Saw some pheasant in some places and none in others. Saw one covey of Huns. Got out and walked a little and could have shot a couple roosters.
Seems like it will be a typical year in that if you work for your birds you will find some.

Put on some serious miles yesterday. Cover looks great in places. Saw some pheasant in some places and none in others. Saw one covey of Huns. Got out and walked a little and could have shot a couple roosters.
Seems like it will be a typical year in that if you work for your birds you will find some.

Thats what i am seeing, i konw where a couple of roosters are hanging out but i will let my boy shoot them, other than that it will be alot of miles per bird

Thanks for the reports. I never was afraid of a long walk for my birds. To tell you the truth, I could more than use the exercise. Nice to hear that the long winter and wet spring did not do them all in.

Back