How to Shoot a Bird

On the empty chamber challenge. I shoot an 11-87, so I sledom shoot it empty (5 shot capacity). 2 years ago my buddy couldn't go for some reason, so my dog and I headed-out on a solo hunt, first point and flush, click ... never loaded the gun, and no one else thereto take a swing. That makes you question yourself on if you are fit for the activity. It happens.

The empty chamber will always get you. I had decided to call it a day around 430/5 and was cleaning a couple of birds on a 25 degree day. In the middle of ripping out some guts in the yard and I heard a couple cackles...paused, heard some more cackles about 150 yards away by the cow pens.

My hands were wet and freezing but I was going to get some easy pheasants...quickly grabbed my gun out of the car and stealthily walked along the windbreak...as I neared the end of the windbreak I saw some tracks going around the corner. My hands were freezing but I was going to get these suckers.

Slowly I turned the corner and saw 2 roosters in the snow about 20 yards ahead of me walking along a bare fence line. I had my gun shouldered before they even took flight, should be able to get both! I track the first 1..CLICK, pump another shell in and pull the trigger...CLICK.

In my excitement I had forgotten to load my shotgun. 🤦‍♂️

Yes my youngest son is a small man and has stuck with his Winchester Black Shadow pump because of the 13.75 lop. But he doesn't change guns because of winter clothing
My nephew is maybe 5-7.He has short arms.A Remington youth model actually fits him.He's 25 now, still uses it.

With that title, I thought I knew who's post it would be, glad I was wrong!

My advice on being a successful pheasant hunter: Be ready, finger on the safety, WATCH the dog, the rest will come. It is way easier to shoot pheasants when they are closer (IC choke) than when they get 40 yards away before you pull the trigger. Once you figure that out, I hope you like to eat them!
Good point. Be ready,be fast, shoot within 40 yards, set your feet, account for wind.

Many people like to fix poor shooting with fit, LOP, drop, etc rather than learning proper gun mounting fundamentals.
My dad was a good shot when he was in his 30's and 40's. For some reason, he couldn't hit anything in his 50s, 60s and 70s.Same gun.He had short arms, but was 5-11.

If a shotgun fits reasonably well and you shoot it often enough then yeah you learn to shoot it well. Off the rack shotguns are normally set for the average build and they would have us all being 5'9" and 170 lbs. If you have a long neck, long arms and or are 6'5" then it would surely benefit from some kind of alteration to your stock. Length of pull can be added or cut down easy enough and drop to comb these days can be done with some of the newer Autoloaders and their shim adjustments. Those can likely get you close enough unless you are of extreme dimensions. The closer the gun is to fitting you well the easier and more natural the gun mount will become without having to adjust to it.

Eye dominance is a whole different can of worms and one that could be continued altogether on another thread. 😀
I close my left eye.I know it isn't recommended for shooting, but it works for me.It also helps, to be super fast.

Back