How often do you encounter the law?

Over the many years of hunting and fishing I have been checked by the conservation officers six times.
2 times in Mn pheasant hunting and 1 in SD, 3 times deer hunting and 1 time ice fishing.

In case you get checked again someday, make sure to count the game or fish you've taken several times, until you get the same number 2-3 times in a row. Go with that number. I think you've been checked SEVEN times. 😉

Required on certain public land…
Yeah. We got stopped by a couple pair of green jeans and they went over our ammo with a fine toothed comb. Also the warden by lake okoboji. He was a happy old guy. Got out of his truck and played with the dog. Overall I've been checked close to 30 times. Most of that is fishing. About 8 times hunting.

This topis was discussed last weekend on 10 person hunt in Illinois. 20-30 years ago we got checked probably every other year in IN or IL. Got so we knew the CO pretty well and we called her Larry Bird's sister. Poor thing looked like it. nobody can recall being checked in the last 20 years.

In WI where I own some property, I have had the local CO stake out my duck hunting spot trying to make a major bust or something. Three COs, hidden in the woods with spotting scopes watching us for hours on opening day of ducks. Back then WI opener stated at noon. They were there before sunrise.

Apparently one of the neighbors had called in about poachers killing a trunk load of ducks the week before. he had gone over to talk to the guys who "hunted" and saw the trunk. Tipped off the Co and they tried to take it out on us. We'd get checked normally every year until about 20 years ago.

I've also had a CO standing right underneath my deer stand one year on the morning of opening day as I was walking out in the dark. not a good feeling to see a human literally underneath your intended hunting spot, on your land. I walked up to him and noticed his back tag had a really low number, like 000-065. I asked him what he was doing an he said "hunting". I told him he was right under my stand, on my land and he asked to see my license! I asked to see his since he was the trespasser. Said he couldn't trespass because he was CO. I didn't know him because property is right on county line and he was CO from the next county over.

he gave me crap about having my hood on as I walked to stand, and not my blaze orange one in my pocket. I told him I wasn't hunting yet because it prior to the season start and I would put it on when I got up in my stand. I think he was pissy because he lost his place to hunt.

I've been checked twice. Once when I was 16 and hunting birds during MN gun deer season. I didn't hunt deer in MN at the time and didn't know the deer season was on. He checked my shells for slugs or buckshot. Also gave me a bit of grief about my mom walking with me, who does not hunt and did not hold a license. Said she was aiding a hunter. I did not know that a parent walking behind a hunting youth without a license was considered aiding a hunter. I still haven't looked up the regs on that. No big deal, I'm sure he was used to dealing with fools for the last two weeks. Then once last year, hunting deer during the early anterless season. Warden was at the boat ramp checking folks coming in. He checked to make sure we had tags and the guns were unloaded and cased in the boat. He was a friendly guy. I asked him how many wardens there even were for the county (Crow Wing.) He said they had 6 total that patrolled, but only ever 2 or 3 out on the same day. Crow Wing is a big county, 1100-1200 square miles. I don't know how much public land there is in the county, but it is A LOT. Goes back to not enough folks out there keeping dishonest people in check.

I've hunted far more in WI than I ever have in MN and have never been checked there. I honestly cannot recall ever seeing a warden on the road when I've been traveling for hunting.

This is just a theory, but I'd say that if there were more wardens patrolling smaller areas, they'd obviously be spread less thin, and likely happier leading to better interactions with folks. I know I get pissy real quick when I am overly busy at work. But then it goes back to state funding and tax allocations, DNR spending, yada yada. I just try to follow the law to make things easy for everyone.

Also gave me a bit of grief about my mom walking with me, who does not hunt and did not hold a license. Said she was aiding a hunter. I did not know that a parent walking behind a hunting youth without a license was considered aiding a hunter. I still haven't looked up the regs on that.
Funny you mention this, also in MN, I spoke to a warden once while prairie chicken hunting when my uncle came with just to go along with the group but didn't have a license. His opinion was it was perfectly ok for him to walk with since he was walking behind one of us. But he said if he would have been covering ground down the line, out in front, etc, basically acting like another dog, he would consider it assisting. I think the assisting law here is highly subjective based on the situation.

Yes it is pretty loose when the regs do not define "assisting" the hunter. In my case, I was a 16 year old kid driving 90 minutes in fresh snow to carry a gun around areas I'd never seen before. Seems pretty reasonable to be accompanied by an adult. I'd be fine with them saying no license needed or yes you need a license to be in the field with a hunter. Either way, just make it clear.
1701810668161.png

Funny you mention this, also in MN, I spoke to a warden once while prairie chicken hunting when my uncle came with just to go along with the group but didn't have a license. His opinion was it was perfectly ok for him to walk with since he was walking behind one of us. But he said if he would have been covering ground down the line, out in front, etc, basically acting like another dog, he would consider it assisting. I think the assisting law here is highly subjective based on the situation.

Same in Iowa. Behind shooters is okay, but if they are giving dog commands or walking next to the hunters where they could be another flusher it's aiding a hunt and need to be licensed. Licenses for phez are cheap and the money goes to a good cause so might as well have family buy one for walking around.

Im a firm believer anyone stepping foot on public/WMA ground should be required to buy a habitat license no matter what you are doing.

Same in Iowa. Behind shooters is okay, but if they are giving dog commands or walking next to the hunters where they could be another flusher it's aiding a hunt and need to be licensed. Licenses for phez are cheap and the money goes to a good cause so might as well have family buy one for walking around.

Im a firm believer anyone stepping foot on public/WMA ground should be required to buy a habitat license no matter what you are doing.
The wife started going with me several years ago and the first thing I bought her was a license and habitat stamp. Like you said cost was minimal and the money goes to a good cause. I don't like anyone walking behind me because of the number of birds that flush behind you.

I also agree with the idea of anyone using public land having to buy a habitat stamp or park user stamp.

Back