How I Would Fix Football

BritChaser

I rarely watch sports on TV and praise be because football has got to be one of the most boring things to watch. My cousin bought season tickets to his college alma mater and I have been going to the games with him -- four hours of drudgery to watch 60 minutes of ball. What boredom. The problem? Football has too many rules. And then there's all the time wasted by the refs debating calls, reviewing calls, etc.
Some changes (off the top of my head) I would make to the game if I were the "King of Football" to keep it moving and make it more interesting:

1. Whenever the ball leaves the quarterback's possession when he is not down, it's a loose ball. This business of analyzing whether his arm was moving forward as if to pass is b.s.

2. There should be no such thing as illegal procedure. Offense, fake the heck out of the defense and line up however you wish to line up.

Anyone else want to get rid of some football rules?

The three things I dislike most about football.

1. The NFL's brilliant idea of moving the kickoff up 5 yards. This new rule removes a lot of special teams play, considering the guys with a lot of leg can kick the ball completely out of the end zone now.
  2. The other equally brilliant system of NFL overtime. Give the other team a chance to answer maybe?
  3. College football's BCS system. This is the most screwed up system of all, and it's all about money of course. A playoff-style system would be much more fair.

I don't mind the reviews, unless their excessive. With 22 guys running around on the field, sometimes the referees don't have the best viewing advantage (however, I believe a larger percentage of calls are upheld rather than overturned).

Most of the other rules are there to ensure safety on the field, or are procedural. The rule that a ball is live when it leaves the quarterback's hands is already there, it just depends on what happens after the ball leaves. :)

I watch a lot of TV NFL. [when not afield]:)

I will stall the game about 45 minutes, then fast forward the boring stuff.

They will have to ditch the moving the ball up 5 yards on kick off, what a dumb idea.

Back