How do you shim your benelli?

moellermd

Super Moderator
I under stand how to physically put in the shims. The question is what do you look for when putting in the shims. What are you looking for fit. I usually shoot my 1187 special field but might try my M2 a little. From what I have read fitting seems to be more of trap thing and not really for the field gun, could be wrong.

Last edited:
I think most people are clueless on this. This is how I think a shotgun should fit, anyone else, feel free to call bullshit, but this is the way I think a shotgun should fit.

First of all for me personally, 99% of all shotguns that I try don't fit me. The stock is too low. When you bring the shotgun up and place your cheek bone on the stock you should be looking right down the barrel. On 99% of the shotguns I try, I am looking at the back of the receiver. Thus the stock is too low. I have found two shotguns that fit me, the Winchester 1300 pump, and the Benelli Montefeltro. I did not have to adjust the Montefeltro the shims were set up perfect for me from the factory.

My two cents.

Rob

The first thing you need to do is pattern the gun. Once you see where the gun is shooting then it's time to work with the shims. My Monte was set up to standard with the C shim; I now shoot with the B. The drop was too low for me and the B brought it up to perfect. Each shim angle is different so good luck.

I don't put much faith in shooting the gun first to see where the point of impact is, and then working backwards to adjust the stock. That seems like a round-about method.

You should first make sure that when the gun is aimed like a rifle at a stationary target about 20 yards away, the pattern lands where the gun is aimed. I had one gun that did not and I got rid of it.

Here's what works for me, I read this from a shotgunning book somewhere. Stand in front of a mirror with an unloaded gun. Mount the gun quickly as if you were prepared to shoot. Look in the mirror. Try it a few times to get consistent. Ideally, in the mirror you should see your eye looking right down the rib. If that is not the case then figure out what needs to change to make it happen. That might mean shims to raise or lower the stock. Or to move stock left or right. I always have to lengthen the stock to make it work by adding thick recoil pads and/or spacers between the stock and recoil pad. After all is done, the gun will shoot where you point it as long as you use the same consistent mount.

read your manuel

My experience is people don't read the manuel first. Most Benellis come with 3-4 shims both plastic (closest to the reciever) and metal (to get the drop and cast right you must match the alpha of both shims and the hole changes with up or down of the metal shim(rt or lefty) The intertia recoil is diff if the metal shim in set up wrong(upside down) for which hand you shoot.
If you find you need more adjustment remember you can either drop the stock or raise the sight. (or vice-versa).
Be Safe and Shoot Straight.
Mav

Ideally, in the mirror you should see your eye looking right down the rib. If that is not the case then figure out what needs to change to make it happen.

So what about guns with two beads? I have read that you should look down and see a figure 8 not both beads lined up. Or is that a trap shooter thing? Right now I look straight down the rib. Also if a guy is worried about about adjusting drop should he not also be worried about the comb?

Maverick
I understand how to physically put in the shims. What I am looking for is what type of gun fit should a guy be going for. The benelli manual does not say squat about that.

fit

Sorry I misunderstood based on the title.

Fit is one of subjects that most all responses should start with: well it depends. Alot of it... IMHumbleO its decided by the horse your used to riding.

This is what I tell people to do. Think about which gun you shot the best. If you still have it great if you don't go to the store to check it out. Do as was suggested earlier and mount the gun "instinctively" and adjust "shim or otherwise" to "see" the same thing Instinctively looking down the barrel. This will vary greatly from guys use to shooting a double gun that has lots of drop normally to a guy use to shooting an 870 for example.

Then do you micro-adjustments from there. :thumbsup:

Back