How are the roads?

Started out this week in Colby (tuesday-wednesday). Roads were dry. However 99% of the Whia that I drove to near Atwood, Colby, Winona and Cove City have been converted to cropland. Departed there and hunted my way south to LaCrosse where they received some rains making all black dirt roads impassable. Left there at 5 and headed to Marysville only to drive into a snow storm dumping 1 to 3 inches on top of ice. Hmmm. I have had enough, I give up till next fall..

Kansas game dept should create another theme in their map legend indicating whias that are cropped. I realize that some are enrolled as a part of a landowner enrollment of larger properties. However the expiration of crp contacts indicates a continued conversion of grasslands as producers have to produce an income. I feel the future of upland bird hunting and the continued recruitment of young hunters will continue to decline. At age 60 I feel I have enjoyed the very best of times.

Headed out yesterday and yuck. Roads made it tough but the birds were sitting tight. When I look for WIHA in a new area i look for clusters crop fields with draws always seem to hold birds. Crop circles with corners or a train track running through. I also have marked what I have found track and bird wise at every WIHa I have ever hunted. I forget alot so it helps me remember.

I made it as far north as burdette no rain yesterday and the wind and traffic had them passable by mid afternoon. Before lunch they were pretty slimy.

Touch and go on some of the dirt roads. Spent about 30 minutes at the car wash chiseling the layers of caked mud from the last 4 days, but well worth it!

I haven't had any trouble on any of the roads. Some are a little sticky first thing after the frost goes out, but I haven't even engaged the 4 wheel drive. Surprised at all the hunters out last weekend and even saw some today. That tells me guys are getting in birds. I am looking forward to the snow tomorrow.

I haven't had any trouble on any of the roads. Some are a little sticky first thing after the frost goes out, but I haven't even engaged the 4 wheel drive. Surprised at all the hunters out last weekend and even saw some today. That tells me guys are getting in birds. I am looking forward to the snow tomorrow.

Looking at the radar, it looks like the snow is really coming down in SWKS. Calling for up to 7 or 8 inches down that way.

Back