How About The Weirdest, Strangest Thing you've Seen/Experienced While Hunting?

On a late December hunt with my dad and some family friends, we kicked up a hawk that had landed ahead of us. When my buddy walked over the spot where it was he found a freshly killed rooster there. The bird was still warm when he picked it up.

With the same aforementioned group of hunters, we hit a spot that we had marginal success in and were sitting around after the walk enjoying a mid morning break. We had been there for roughly 15 minutes and out of nowhere, 4 roosters flushed right next to the trucks. The dogs had been running around, we had our guns unloaded and hadn't been very quiet so I'm surprised the birds would come anywhere close to us.

Earlier this season, after having very little luck with roosters, my friends and I were driving to another spot for our last hunt. As we drove past a farmstead, I see this dog, Jack Russell I think, carrying what looks like a large piece of old grain tarp. As we got closer it was obvious this dog had a rooster in his mouth, still kicking and flapping around. After the miles we logged that day it would have been very tempting to call the dog over and exchange the bird for some treats in the truck.

Last edited:
Years ago I was bow hunting in SD on a WPA. I was just sitting on a big cotton wood tree that fell over. I was able to just walk up on it and sit down. Didn't see much for deer but it was a nice night. I was just starting to think about getting out of the tree and I felt a hard push on the back of my right shoulder. It felt like a buddy snuck up behind me and with an open palm hit me in the back of my shoulder fairly hard. I was totally freaked out! I had no idea what to think. I remember saying out loud "what the F### was that". My hair on the back of my neck was standing straight up and just about then I heard something above me. I looked up and it was a great horned owl landing on a branch maybe 3 feet away. He landed and we both stared at each other for a few seconds. He flew off and needless to say i had to decompress for a few minutes.

I was not along on this trip. But we had a Brittany that killed a pig out in a cornfield and dragged it back to the truck. My dad and uncle loaded up and left.

Farley Mowatt's The Dog Who Wouldn't Be is a treasury of hunting stories.

Haha... pry 20 years ago my dad and myself were walking some public land around the home town. We were done hunting for the day and had just got back to the truck when we heard what sounded like 2 harleys coming down the gravel road. Well down this windy curvy road came 2 beat up mini Van's. Going at a very good clip.... well 1 of the Van's ended up gettin loose and rolled into the bean field. We went to assist and he was fine. Long story short it was 2 brothers racing home from town. When their father showed up it didnt sound like that kid was gonna be driving anywhere for quite some time.

Another time we were walking a drainage ditch along hwy 14 southern mn and came across a homeless man in a tall patch of cane. Couple days later he was spotted by another hunter about 12 miles west on a public piece.

I was hunting a large strip of CRP about 7 years ago. The grass was super tall; at my eyes or above. The dogs were working the cover out in front of me when I heard what I thought were my dogs coming back to check in. Before I realized what was happening, I was on my back looking at a whitetail buck running straight away. He had hit my right shoulder, tore off that side of my vest Off. I had to feel around and make sure everything else was in tact. A few inches to the left would have been a different story...

Back